archiving videos from a camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sdsarafina, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sdsarafina macrumors newbie

Hello. I am trying to create a back up copy of all my videos that are on tape from my camcorder. I have the clips imported in iMovie but iMovies keeps making movies and I want to save the video clips as individual videos, as they are on tape, so I have the flexibility to go back and make movies later if/when I have time. Does anyone know how to do this? Please help! I'm on os X and imovie 9.

2. JinsterBeady macrumors member

When importing into iMovie directly from your camera, (using the import from camera option) you should be given the chance to choose a location on your computer to save the files to.
    Has this happened?
    Generally it will save to an iMovie events folder.

3. sdsarafina thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JinsterBeady macrumors member

I assume they are not all one big movie on your camera?
    What type of connection to your computer do you have? Is it just Usb?

You're definitely not EXPORTing from iMovie?

5. JinsterBeady macrumors member

Are you seeing this when you import from your camera?
    (check attachment)

Attached Files:

6. sdsarafina, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

sdsarafina thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's not one big movie in the camera. It's a compilation of videos from different days/events.

No, I'm not seeing that screen. I see the video being imported and it imports directly into iMovie. The clips can't be dragged and saved on the desk top or to a folder. I can't export it either unless it's the whole compilation.

I'm using a FireWire to import videos.

7. SuperPosting macrumors newbie

Hip Hop Music

Hello. I'm trying to produce a support copy of my videos which are on tape from my video camera. I've the clips imported in iMovie but iMovies keeps making movies and I wish to save the recording clips as individual videos, because they are on tape, and so i possess the versatility to return making movies later if/after i have enough time. Does anybody understand how to do that? Help! I am on os X and imovie 9.

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Is it a Standard Definition camera or HDV. Standard Definition doesn't have clip detection in FCP, so I'd assume it's missing in iMovie too.

9. JinsterBeady macrumors member

I believe iMovie detects clips. Obviously so long as it's a hard drive or memory card camera.

Unusual.

----------

Are you importing from tape?

10. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie should split your import into separate clips by detecting the record start/stop points. It does this with my miniDV camcorder. You can find these clips in Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Events. You can then move them to a location of your choice.