Archos 32 3.2" tablet a threat to new iPod touch 4G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Peterson8765, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

A couple weeks ago the Archos 32 3.2" tablet was leaked on JR's website, it's specs were pretty appealing with a 600MHz processor, a rear VGA video camera, Supposedly GPS support, Wi-Fi, a relativly high res. 3.2" screen, built in mic, 8GB memory, and Android 2.1. The Archos 32 also did hit the FCC a couple days ago as well with pics, when it was leaked on JR.com, the price was $147, which is really cheap considering those specs. Do you think this is a threat towards the new touch coming out? The new touch is rumored to be a 3G 16GB or 8GB starting at $199 with no cam or no new features. The 4G touch is rumored to be 32GB and 64GB with a rear and front camera that can take pics, a gyroscope, iOS 4.1, Retina 960x640 display, built in mic, and some other new features starting at $299 and $399. The Archos 32 seems super cheap and has a lot of neat features, but I think Apple will have to reduce the price of this new touch to have the 4G features to compete with this player and others that are soon to probably come.

2. EllieV macrumors 6502

Apple can't reduce the price. There will be no profit. A tablet competes with a tablet. The touch isn't a tablet

3. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Apple indeed can reduce the price, the $299 and $399 price just seem too much for small devices, their was some talk about the Archos 32 being considered a tablet, but in my opinion it isn't and neither is the iPod touch. They're basically media devices. If the rumors are correct about Apple releasing a new 7" iPad the price would have to be about $399 - $429 because it can't be the same price as the 9.7" iPad. And if the 7" iPad is priced like that, people would buy the 7" iPad other than a $399 64GB touch, I know I would. They're going to have to reduce the 32GB and 64GB prices by at least $30-$50, and make the baseline a 3rd Gen. 16GB. 8GB isn't going to cut it anymore unless it's dirt cheap.

4. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Oh and, I believe the touch costs about $147 to make, well back in 2007 when component costs were a little more expensive so I bet it's less now, so they wouldn't be making a ton of profit off of a 3G 16GB base line for $199, but a lot off of a 32GB and 64GB model, especially a 64GB model.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Thats what Archos is supposedly calling a 3.2" device.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

Those specs sound like a threat to the current iPod Touch 3G not the next one.

8. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    The way I see it, and it might be just me:

Nothing will really compete with the iPod touch for quite some time. I mean, look at the ZuneHD. As far as I know, it has some pretty nice specs. <unverified fact> It has less of the MP3 market share than Mac does in the PC industry. </unverified fact> Its specs meant nothing in the real world: an Apple MP3 is a safe bet. It works, it's elegant, and the specs are still good. It's also simple: would you rather have an iPod touch or an Archos 32 3.2" tablet?

I know which one I would choose just by looking at the name.

In short, it won't be a threat.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apple's 30% margins speak otherwise. They can afford to reduce all of their prices. They don't because people are willing to pay the current ones.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The iPod touch 4 will have a (minimum) 1GHz processor, which is 400MHz more than the Archos. Moreover, it supports the tons of apps of the app store, which gives it a huge advantage. The iPod killer still doesn't exist ;)

11. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

grow up please.the ipod may cost $100 to make when you look at the components.but who will pay the designers,who will pay for R&D,who will pay the factory workers,who will pay for transportation, advertising and SO MANY things along the whole supply chain of the product?PROFIT comes after all these costs have been covered.

they dont just give you a screen,a processor chip,a ram stick,a camera module etc. in a plastic bag and ask you to put it all together yourself.

12. brianfast macrumors regular

Guys, Apple hardware is very overpriced compared to other technology companies. Probably around 30% on average. Almost everyone knows that on these forums...

We are willing to put up with that because Apple supports products better than say Archos and has attention to detail....

Archos will release this player and then never release any apps or firmware updates for it... iPod touch will get new features...

13. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Keep in mind, it's just a thread.

14. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Well if it this New Archos 32 player ran on Archos' own Operating System, then there probably won't be any apps or firmware updates. But it runs on Android 2.1, and I bet it can be upgraded soon because it's Android, and it also has more than 100,000 apps in it's Android Market.

15. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I see the 4G 32GB and 64GB running on a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, which would make it way faster than the Archos and the App Store is about 250,000 now. I started this thread because you don't see a new iPod touch competitor everyday.

16. mikelat macrumors newbie

First of many

You are right, we have not up to now seen much competition for the Touch, and that is why Apple has been able to virtually do nothing to update it but there is going to be a host of viable Android based competitors coming on so Apple had better get off its ass and make this an update to remember.

17. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Ha, I like the way you put it. Android has exploded this last year and now it's coming to portable media devices, so the touch is going to have some competition.

18. tucker61 macrumors regular

Archos 7

I have just seen the spec on the Archos 7. That sounds good enough to me and could be enough compition when the new iPod is finally released. £235.00 with 160 gb and a 7 inch screen.

Come on apple, give a bigger screen at a resonable price.

19. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

There is definitely competition this year, or competition that will be out within the few months after the new touch is released. Apple needs to be prepared for that and not release something lackluster.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I fail to understand how this is a tablet. The screen size is smaller than the iPod touch... I don't know why a 3.2" screen is considered a tablet while the iPhone 4 (which people complained about the screen being too small compared to the 4.5" Android phones) is considered a "small" smartphone. It's also running Android, which has horrible (read: NONEXISTENT) multimedia support. I know because I actually used an Android smartphone daily for months before I jumped ship to the iPhone 4. Tablets are not for getting work done but for consuming media content. It's not your computer replacement. But getting media onto, getting media off of, and transferring media files to anything Android is like shooting yourself in the foot. Pass. I'll wait for the BB tablet with their BB sync software.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe not an iPod touch killer, but I have seen more than 10+ iPhone killers just in the past 1-2 months. Guess what? They all are Android and they all failed. Almost of them haven't even reached the 1 million sales mark yet that the first iPhone surpassed in the first few days. It's losing in sales compared to a 2007 (read: 3 YEAR OLD) device that has much less hardware and probably much less desirable than a 2010 Android phone. But good try for Archos. They make fairly good quality products but I don't think this will kill the iPod touch. It's 250,000+ to 1. Good luck.

22. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Yeah, I have heard Android is a bit gimmicky. All the other Mobile Device OS' just don't compare to iOS. I also don't know why Archos is calling this Archos 32 media device a tablet, it should just be PMP. Apple almost beats everything to the market, and they always succeed, and I think the new iPod touch 4G is going to be pretty revolutionary.

23. Peterson8765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Edit: The Archos 32 PMP has an 800Mhz ARM Cortex A8 processor.