Archos 5 Internet Tablet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SirJ, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SirJ macrumors member

Hi guys

Just found this a bit ago:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/archos-5-internet-tablet-makes-an-honest-pmp-out-of-android/

Looks like a solid device - sort of like a bigger Zii Egg (plus a much better name!)
    This could very well be the perfect complement to my new 5g ipod nano. The only snag is the stories I've heard regarding Archos' customer service.

Other than that, this looks like what I've been wanting - a bigger screen/keyboard than the ipod touch but something that I can still fit in my pocket. The rumored Apple tablet, at 7-10", is bigger than what I'd like and the inclusion of Android with the Archos is a welcome feature as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/experiences that they could share to help me out?

Thanks everyone

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I saw that and it looks cool and I want one but I have to cool it a little I just got a 5g nano and a zune hd today so Ill be good gadget wise for awhile. I might ask for it for my birthday or christmas.

3. dlstc macrumors newbie

My two cents...

I was very anti-iPod and wanted to buy the Archos 5g when it came out.

After all, I could buy a USB modem/SIM card and have access anywhere, not to mention Flash player and bigger storage for less money.

It can also act as a GPS and a DVR.

But I passed because of not only the cost of the device, but the cost of the accessories and plug-ins. They basically nickle and dime you to death.

Also, the customer service and firmware updates are non-existent, from what I've read. Despite a glowing review from CNet, actual users are not happy. Just check out their forums.

If you have the money to burn, it might be worth a try, but I decided to go with proven technology and customer service. Not to mention the App store and iTunes, which have their problems but are basically solid.

4. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

dlstc, I understand what you mean. The App Store and rock solid customer support provided by apple is second to none.

However, as I have a nano for music purposes, I'm looking for basically an ipod touch solely for internet browsing between classes (big campus, lots of email correspondence). I have my trusty macbook but would love to not have to carry that around all the time. It's not a weight issue, rather a matter of convenience. The ability to whip out a tablet-y thing and check my mail, macrumors, engadget, etc. while heading from one class to another is what I do with my current 1g ipod touch (which seems to be getting slower by the day).

My biggest question is:
    Will this be compatible with OS X? Obviously that's the big deal here. I have a Windows partition (Win7) but it's only 20GB and 12 are used at this point. Plus I don't like Windows as much as Mac OS.

Thanks for everyone's responses

5. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

Just saw this on Archos' site:
    Minimum system requirements • Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, or higher (with Windows media Player 11 for MTP)
    • Linux (with Mass Storage Device Support)
    • USB 2.0 interface

Does this mean I, as an OSX user, am SOL or do Archos products work by drag-and-drop?

6. mexxx macrumors newbie

i was deciding on this too, but i read reviews on the archos system, and well... it wasnt impressive. customer service.. well dont expect much. and the quality i have heard is horrid. so i would see a few reviews before buying. if anything the zune would be better than this. but i think ima go with the ipod touch for the fact that its faster and it saves me a bit on my pocket.

7. slashcrashcup macrumors newbie

I'll tell you... I had to take a double take at Archos 5 with an Android OS, I have owned 4 archos devices and have had problems that were unsolvable with all of them. Archos always touts that their firmware is upgradable and that they constantly refine their products, but that is not true. I bought my first ever ipod about a year and have not looked back since (until this Archos 5). But as I lay in bed surfing the web last night on my ipod I decided that I would buy a new 32Gb Ipod touch before I went back to Archos. They offer a lot, but do not follow through on what they offer. One problem I constantly had was with the DVR functionality. There were always glitches... audio didn't sync, timer would malfunction, unit would reset itself. Maybe after another year they will have the glitches worked out of the Archos 5, but remembering what I went through reminded me I don't want to take a chance on Archos and I strongly suggest the same to you. If you like your Ipod then stick with it. It's only bound to get better.

8. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

I went through two of them before I bought the iTouch... The only real good thing about it the RMA process.. The group thinks they (Archos) are using dodgy hards drives as that seems to be the major failure point....

Nothing on earth would make me buy another..

Francois

9. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

Definitely some interesting stuff.

To be perfectly honest, I don't need this as a music player or, really, for any movies. This would be, in essence, an internet tablet (as the name implies) used as a MID or UMPC. Things like checking email/web surfing in bed/between classes/etc.

For those that have owned the Archos 5, what did you think of the screen size compared to the touch? Would you consider the higher screen resolution to be better for viewing websites or is the smaller size of the touch more advantageous for its maneuverability and portability?

10. mexxx macrumors newbie

i was considering owning one. check the reviews. people have stated that this device gets very warm fast when on the web, so in my opinion you would better be off with a netbook. they are like 300 bucks give or take and are far more reliable if u get it from a decent company.