Arctic silver 5 on MBP 2011 and PS3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpazzyMac, Dec 5, 2011.

1. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

hello, I'm a total noob at Thermal compound stuff :eek:
    so I am planning on using AS5 on my MBP early 2011 and for my friends PS3 and probably mine.

the thing is I don't know if I should use the 'spread method' or rice grain method, on the macbook pro
    but says I should use the spread method in their website http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#
    and rice grain method on the PS3

so the ones that has used AS5 on their MBP from 2011 what say you?
    p.s and if you tried the AS5 on the PS3 would be nice to know some experiences :)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Ultimately, all methods boil down to the same thing: you want it evenly spread over the processor itself. If the processor core is accessible, you spread the compound across it yourself. If the core is covered by a metal plate, you let the heatsink squish the compound, while making sure to place the compound in the proper location.

On Mac laptops, the core is accessible.

3. SpazzyMac, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

SpazzyMac thread starter macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

so do you mean that I should spread it with some kind of a credit card?
    edit: my english can be a bummer sometimes :p

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

When I reapplied it to my 17" early '11, I put a small line down the center, that runs parallel with the long side. I bolted the heatsink back onto it and then took it off to see how it spread. I recommend this way, as it has dropped my temps, especially during games.

5. SpazzyMac thread starter macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

looks like i'm going have to try it myself :) vertical line or the official spread method, sad thing this has to be 200 hours to become "stable" :)