ARD Port Forwarding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dasnico, Jun 12, 2011.

1. dasnico macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

Having a small issue with my ARD port forwarding for remote access outside of my home network...

I have set up my iMac where I can access it via ARD from outside of my network. I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 router. Accessing that one computer alone is no problem at all. Thing is, I have three other macs I would like to be able to access that are on the same network. Do I need to set up individual port forwarding (3283, 5900, & 5988) for all three computers? That would be NINE separate port forwarding lines that must be entered using the same ports forwarded to three different IP addresses. My router only has ten lines that I can enter port forwarding data in to. I have other windows computers that need to be accessed remotely too. Is there an easier way of doing this? Will forwarding on the same ports to different IP addresses cause any issues?

Additionally, is there a way to wake my computer up from sleeping remotely too? Currently I am having to call my roommate to move the mouse to wake my computer up so I can log on to it otherwise it is unavailable. I travel a lot so leaving my computer on for weeks at a time is something I'm trying to avoid.

Thank you!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The world's cheapest router. Did you check the Linksys boards on how to open ports through their firewall?

3. dasnico thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm aware of this. Had it for a while now and it's never caused us any problems so there's been no reason to upgrade or replace it.

I will check the Linksys boards. Thank you! Meanwhile I'll look in to replacing it with an AirPort.

4. dasnico thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

any ideas on being able to access all my macs over the internet?? updated to airport extreme.

5. codymac macrumors 6502

You'll only need two ports NAT'd per machine: 5900 (VNC) & 3283 (Net Assistant)

You don't need to bother with 5988 (wbem-http).

Forwarding the ports to multiple NAT'd addresses will cause some one-time minor issues with discovery and machine set up. Expect to have to manually add and configure the machines as ARD is default configured to connect to the standard ports (so it will only see a machine if it's passed through straight on the standard ports). Once you're connected, the ARD client will update correctly.

In other words: make a note of your port configs before you're remote!

This also means that the machine will show up multiple times if you're using ARD when you're at home too. One config for the local subnet, one config for the NAT'd addresses externally.

I'm not 100% sure about WOL but believe it's only supported with Apple hardware. I've never gotten it to work (I use a Linksys running DD-WRT) but you should be able to with the Apple router. Once you've got it set up, test it before counting on it (and even then, I wouldn't rely on it).