Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Subject says it all really, is there an Apple Remote Desktop client for Windows, be it Apple or third-party?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
A useful thread from a Google search:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=457699

Google thread said:
I've figured out the settings you need to use to use a Windows VNC
Client (RealVNC 4.0 in this case) when connecting to an Apple Remote
Desktop machine with VNC authentication enabled.

Under options :
-UN-check "Auto Select"
-Choose either Hextile or Raw as your "Preferred Encoding" -- ARD
doesn't seem to like ZRLE
-Choose Full (All available colours)

It's slow, but this way you'd be able to connect and use as intended
rather then having the connection dump.

So maybe you can set ARD to use VNC output, and then connect with a Windows VNC client. I haven't used ARD, but this may set you in the right direction.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Nermal said:
Subject says it all really, is there an Apple Remote Desktop client for Windows, be it Apple or third-party?
Isn't ARD VNC based and compatible? In which case any VNC viewer should work. No?

B

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
After G said:
So maybe you can set ARD to use VNC output, and then connect with a Windows VNC client. I haven't used ARD, but this may set you in the right direction.

I'm using VNC in the interim but it's far too slow, ARD's native format seems to be much more efficient.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
From http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050915061927686

macosxhints said:
Here are some other ways to speed up the connection (i.e. decrease the latency of the screen response):

1. Change the encoding options. I find that "Tight" works well over constrained bandwidths, but if the VNC server is on your LAN, that "Raw" encoding may work better. There are other encodings, such as "Hextile", "CoRRE", "ZlibHex", "Zlib" and "RRE" which may be more appropriate depending on your setup.

2. If your client offers allowing JPEG compression, try turning this on. This is CPU-intensive on the server, so if the quality level is adjustable, try experimenting with it to see if you're comfortable with the trade-offs between screen refresh latency and display quality.

3. Disable scaling, unless you need it. I find this is most useful for viewing a desktop machine from a handheld device, which has constrained display area.

4. Experiment with other supplied options like enabling CopyRect encoding and adjusting other custom compression levels.

Experimentation is key to optimizing your VNC connection.

Does ARD support changing this kind of stuff? This is of course in addition to running at 640x480, thousands of colors (on both client and server), flat one-color background on the desktop, etc.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm, I might be able to squeeze a bit more out of VNC with those tips :)

I should also download the trial of Timbuktu and see how well it works. It's certainly a lot cheaper than the official ARD client!

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I was attempting to use ARD/VNC/Timbuktu to try to run iWeb in a remote location. After investigating prices etc, it seems that the easiest solution is just to buy another G3 (then I'll have two of them! :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.