Are 3G and EDGE fighting each other on the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jul 23, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I am wondering if maybe the EDGE and 3G networks are fighting each other on the iPhone rather then playing nice. It would be great if we could TURN OFF EDGE, just like you can TURN OFF 3G, but unfortunately Apple didn't put this option in the phone.

Here's what's happening to me. My condo is on the 5th floor of a 6 story building with floor to ceiling windows. I have PERFECT reception! Download speed test on DSLR reports about 600kbps most of the time.

However, I notice my phone will revert to EDGE every once in a while. The 3G network will just completely die and the phone will switch to EDGE. When it does that I always know because the speaker buzzing starts happening. I got woken up at 2AM with this since my iphone is plugged into the computer, and it's very close to the computer speakers.

This happens a lot, and I'm not sure why it would do this, but it's getting on my nerves. Last night it happened twice and it woke me up while sleeping. I hope AT&T and Apple can get their **** together and get this fixed because it seems to be an obvious problem that a lot of people are having. If you can't fix it, then at least give us the option to turn off EDGE!

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

It sounds strange that they are conflicting however the only logical reason i can think of is that they are two separate network cards or adapters inside the iPhone.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

original iPhone and speakers didn't play nice. True of a lot of cell phones, but moreso of the iPhone. I don't think the buzzing is EDGE/3G related.

4. SimplyBlue macrumors member

It's been confirmed that running on the 3G network does stop the buzzing/interference with computer speakers as opposed to running on the EDGE network.

5. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, so again I would ask, does anyone feel like perhaps the EDGE and 3G networks are fighting each other on the iPhone? Like maybe the EDGE signal overpowers the 3G at times?

It sure would be nice if we could turn off EDGE if we have excellent 3G reception. I don't get why my phone would switch over to EDGE when it already has perfect 3G reception in my house.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

My phone likes to switch to EDGE when indoors but when I go outside it will switch to 3G with full bars.

7. FJR macrumors regular

AFAIK, this isn't possible (WRT 3G and Edge fighting), as 3G, unless turned off, is just set up to be the default and Edge only picks up when there is no 3G connection. What is likely happening is that your 3G signal is very briefly cutting out and Edge picks up the slack during that time.

If you're charging your phone, it also could be the iphone overheating. When an iphone starts to overheat, it first stops charging, then cuts wifi and 3G off, then dims the screen to try and solve the problem.

8. nep61 macrumors 6502

Same here

I live a few miles from where AT&Ts 3G network ends and where EDGE service is dominant. I also seem to randomly go from 3G to EDGE and then throw in the WiFi for good measure... haven't been paying attention to exactly when it's happening, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that now... Hmm, thought it might have been my imagination, but I guess not.