Are 3G iPad 2's Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macingman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I remember last year the 3G version of the iPad was unlocked. Is the 3G iPad 2 (the GSM version of course) unlocked so I can buy it in the US and use it on one of the carriers here in Australia?

Thanks in advance, I need to know ASAP as I have a friend in the US in the store about to buy me an iPad.

Thanks.

2. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

There's been no mention otherwise, I purchased by GSM iPad 2 and it worked fine out of the box here in Canada.

3. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

Can anyone confirm that they have actually connected to a non-At&t 3G network with a gsm iPad 2?

4. mac&cheesey, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Confirmed

I can confirm this. I am posting this on my iPad2 (64GB AT&T 3G) while connected to the Rogers 3G network in Canada.

I activated my AT&T 3G last night with a prepaid Visa and then switched SIMs and activated my Rogers 3G last night with a normal Canadian credit card.

Works great.

m&c

5. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Yes, all AT&T iPads are unlocked, or a better way of saying it...they were never locked in the first place.

You are buying the device at full retail (not subsidized) and typically directly from Apple. There is no reason for them to be locked to a provider.

6. rritterson macrumors 6502

That didn't stop the first gen iPhones from being locked.