Are 3G users screwed come June by AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DigitalDorf, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DigitalDorf macrumors newbie

Everyone knows that June is the rumored releases date for a new iPhone and AT&T is prepping their network for 10X the amount of traffic as they experience now according to AT&T.

However my question is really about those of us who recently bought an iPhone 3G, and what that means to us for the foreseeable future in regards to prices.

We signed a 2 year contract with AT&T for the iPhone 3G so if in June we wan't to get the new iPhone is AT&T going to say sorry you dont qualify for $299.99 phone as you only had this phone for 6 months. If you want to buy it it's 699.99

or do you think they will allow the upgrade as long as you reset your 2 year contract with them?

2. SWC macrumors 6502

Well we won't really know until the time comes. They let original iPhone users upgrade however the first gen wasn't discounted with the contract.

Even if they don't allow it you aren't "screwed" as you agreed to a contract term when you signed up. Generally speaking though they don't make you wait the full 2 years. I signed up in July of last year and currently shows December as eligible for upgrade.

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Have you never owned a mobile phone before? How is you agreeing to a two-year contract with a subsidised price and them not giving you ANOTHER subsidy a few months later "because you want one" or "because you feel entitled to one" them screwing you out of anything? This is how contracts and subsidies work. It's unlikely they will subsidise another phone. I just got mine a month ago, and guess what? I don't expect to get a new one for cheap when it's released.

4. megapopular macrumors 6502a

An idea...

Can a csr activate a slight upgrade from single line to a family plan and activate an old AT&T wireless phone? (additional $9.99 per month charge plus the difference in family plan charge) Then on launch date of new phone would they be able to upgrade the "new line" to the new iphone? This wouldn't cost so much money upfront if they don't allow an early upgrade. Not sure of all the many possible caveats to this approach but just a passing thought.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

I'm pretty sure you could add a line with no problem, and get the (new) iPhone for that line. So long as you can cancel the data plan for your old (3G) iphone on the first line, you should be fine. Of course, you'll be paying $10/mo more, which over 2 years is about the difference between the subsidized price and the unsub. price.

6. iFerd macrumors 6502a

AT&T allows users to cancel the data plan for the original iPhone, but not for a 3G.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually you can cancel the iPhone 3G data plan. You just can't be using the iPhone 3G when you request the iPhone 3G data plan to be removed from your line of service. :D

So if you want to use another phone on the line, just be prepared to provide the IMEI of another non-iPhone phone. The contract states that you have to have the iPhone 3G data plan as long as you use the iPhone 3G. Before you ask, yes AT&T will know if you continue to use your iPhone 3G on that line. Your iPhone 3G turns you in everytime it connects to the network.

Dave

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If you log into your AT&T account online, it will show you when you are eligible for a new subsidized phone. It occurs somewhere between 12 and 18 months, so you will have to wait some time, but not your entire 2 year contract length. Of course, when you accept a new subsidized phone they reset the clock on your 2 year commitment.

9. bigchief macrumors 6502a

If you consider this as being screwed then yea, your screwed.

10. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

I bought a 1st-gen iPhone on June 29, 2007, then upgraded to 3G last November.

This is what it says on my account page as far us upgrades. The two sentences seem kind of self-contradictory . . . .

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee at a participating iPhone sales location. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount for Early Upgrade to an iPhone on 04/15/2010 "

MKS

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Another one of you? Look dorf, you don't qualify for an upgrade because AT&T paid for a $400 reduction in the price of your phone because you said you'd pay for two years of service with them. That two years is what pays them back and makes them money. If they did what every whino like you wanted and let everybody upgrade whenever some new phone comes out, they'd be about as well off as AIG.

12. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Don't forget that the iPhone 3g will still have that 3.0 upgrade. Unless you absolutely need the brand spanking new iPhone, that may be enough to keep people like me happy. Already spent pleanty of dough on Apple products within the last 6 months.

13. aok1975 macrumors 6502

When you bought your discounted Iphone 3g you agreed to use it for two years, right? So you want an early upgrade every year do you.

14. The General macrumors 601

15. DigitalDorf thread starter macrumors newbie

First off Michael I simply asked a question. The reason I said SCREWED to begin with is that as an Apple fan I have no other options for the iPhone. AT&T isnt doing me any favors. I bought my iPhone for $299.99 forced into a higher data plan, and additional usage from AT&T over my Old 1st GEN iPhone. I do not mind restarting the two year contract again but having you come on hear calling people STUPID for asking a question isn't going to do anything but make someone mad.

I fully understand that a Two year contract is in place, but just like everything in life contracts are made to be broken. Ever owned a Lease on a car? You can turn it in with a slight penalty. Im simply wondering out loud if there will be a way to upgrade to a new iPhone without getting rapped on the $699.99 tag that Apple is goign to charge for us 6 month old 3G users.

16. aok1975 macrumors 6502

You want to have your cake and keep it. Why not sell you iphone 3g and add some money to buy the new one. May end up costing you $300.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

First, you admitted right there that you are an Apple fan. This means that YOU want the iPhone. AT&T didn't force you to buy the iPhone 3G, they also didn't force you to sign up for a higher data plan. This is stated before you sign up. You chose to do so.

Secondly, where in the world are you coming up with $699? That is the price of a 16GB UNLOCKED... you are on AT&T. If you are going by current price trends, which it seems you are attempting to do, then an early upgrade to a 16GB iPhone would be $499.

Yes I will admit AT&T service is expensive for the iPhone, but just like the rest of us, you chose to get an iPhone and signed an agreement when you did. So be a man and act out your promise.

P.S. What in the world would posses you to say " just like everything else, contracts are meant to be broken.."? Furthermore that doesn't even apply here. The only way you would break your contract is if you terminated early, leading to an ETF and not being with AT&T anymore, therefore rendering your new 3G utterly useless unless you turbo sim it.

18. teiresias macrumors regular

Let me preface this post by saying I am an Apple fan and converted completely over to a Mac for home use about two years ago and still currently use my Edge-only iPhone - and I wouldn't use Windows at all if it wasn't required at work and by the tools I use in my job.

That said, the amount of whining on this forum on this very topic of conversation lately that pretty much amounts to "I really hope AT&T plans to make special accommodations for those of us that can't control ourselves and simply must have the new iPhone that comes out every year" astounds me. Particularly coming from a fan base that's used to paying the "Apple premium" for build quality and user experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of smaller subsidy offered for 3G upgraders only a year into their contracts if only to stifle the cries of desperation from such quarters, but it is by no means guaranteed or warranted. Furthermore, unless Apple themselves will be subsidizing AT&T for such action it's really AT&T just being nice about things since they will take a loss if they do it, so rather than ragging on AT&T for potentially "screwing you come June" maybe you should be hoping they're willing for you to screw them come June by letting you get some kind of subsidy on the new phone.

19. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

That was spot on.

20. Justen macrumors member

Here's my thing.

What I believe will happen, is Apple will ANNOUNCE a new iPhone at the WWDC conference in June, but will not be releasing it until later. AT&T is just prepping, and beating out the opponents.

If AT&T has the best coverage, and the best phone, more people will switch over.

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Thank you!

22. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I think its kind of a double edged sword. I am sure the new iPhone wont sell as much as the 3G unless AT&T allows current users to upgrade without additional cost, but on the other hand AT&T already subsidized all of the 3G phones. I hope AT&T doesnt allow current 3G phones to upgrade at the same price because the lines will be much shorter when the new iPhone comes out :)

I dont know how they are going to handle it, but to say AT&T is going to screw 3G users is blatantly false.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can't imagine why AT&T would be ramping-up the network and Apple increasing production 10x if they don't have some arrangement in place for 3G owners.

I fully expect YellowSn0w to be updated for 2.2.1 and sell my unlocked on eBay.

24. davelanger macrumors 6502a

What can they really add to the phone that we wont get in the free 3.0 upgrade? More Gigs? So what, that is way too much IMO unless you are using it as an ipod too but most people are not.

The only thing I can think of they could add is video, and who cares about that? Video on phone are always terrible quality. Just buy your phone now and be happy with it. You get a free 3.0 upgrade.

25. aok1975 macrumors 6502

ok and what happens next year? If att allow early upgrades, how will they ever recoup their money?