are 8cores really worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoran, Mar 10, 2009.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Is the new MPro really worth its money for a graphic designer? I mean are all 8 cores needed for the apps a graphic designer uses, apps like Adobe CS4, FinalCut, QuarkXpress etc?
    Are there any benchmarks on such apps that show how all 8 cores are utilised or at least that they are more worth than the 4core MPro?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yes. also, "worth it" is an opinion, and is subjective. only you can decide if it is worth it for you. if you are having trouble deciding if it is, just wait for some benchmarks in regards to how it handles the software that you use.

3. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

As an extremely happy owner of an 8-core, 3 Ghz beast for over a year, I can honestly testify to my complete satisfaction with my computing choice. True, many (most?) graphics applications don't take full advantage of multi-core processing...YET. But, they will. All in good time. I've been using Macs for 18 years now & for the 1st time my Mac has been AHEAD of the state-of-the-art curve for Mac users. There's hardly anything it won't do, somehow or other. One ap that I use that utilizes all 8 processors is Studio Artist. A rendering that used to take all night with my hopped-up dual G4 is now done in a matter of minutes. I'm sold.

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

it depends on the software you use. As of now most software does not support 8 cores so it would not be worth it but they might in the future. Also know that the quad core is actually seen by the computer as 8 cores. (4 real 4 logical) so it would be better to get a faster processor than more of them currently. but if you plan to use it for say 6-8 years without replacement it is probably a better investment to get the 8 core as the software will probably be mulit threaded by then and will be able to harness the full potential of the octo.

Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

More power is always worth it. However if it's a toss up between 8 cores with say 4GB RAM or 4 Cores with 8-12GB RAM then i'd go for the quad as apps like PS, Illustrator etc with just gobble up all the RAM it can get. If you do any motion graphics work (AE/Motion/Final Cut) then RAM is even more important.

If i were you i'd personally look at getting a last gen 8 core MP with 6-8GB RAM rather than a shiny new machine as the quads are limited to 8GB RAM

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes it is worth it. Sometimes more is better and in this case for the 8 cores, more IS better.