Are aftermarket RAM and HDD truly reliable??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCSMAC, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DCSMAC macrumors member

I had a lot of problems with my last 15" calssic macbook pro; 3 logic board failures and a hard drive failure to be exact. On the final logic failure, an apple genius tried to convince me that the 4gb CRUCIAL aftermarket RAM (that I added after the first failure) may have been responsible, possibly "shorting out the motherboard", which sounds like a load of BS, but I just wanted to confirm that here.

After a long debate with apple, theyre replacing my old faulty MBP with a new 13" Base MBP. I was planning on buying 4gb RAM and a 500gb WD HDD on newegg and installing them, but I wanted to make sure that replacing these components isnt going to cause any meltdowns on my new computer.

Also, I have my old computer backed up on a external disk via time machine, so i just pop in the new 500gb WD drive, run the disks that came with the laptop, then plug in my external once leopard starts up?? would this work??

thanks guys, huge help.

2. Joruus macrumors member

Never get used internal Components, ever. If its a Screen or Cam or whatever it doesn't matter that much.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yep, very reliable.

I haven't used TM, so I can't give input there.

5. nutritious macrumors 6502

um, no. If you get used ram or a hdd that works fine, it's fine.

FYI to OP, apple doesn't make their own ram or hard drives, and there's nothing special about what they use. Often times you can find better hard drives and ram compared to what apple uses.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

NEVER had a problem with Crucial RAM, nor have I heard complaints from others. As for HDs, I have heard some having issues with heat or sound, but they seem to function okay. Anything from Newegg that has 4 stars or more is generally a safe buy for a HD, IMO.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes... you can restore from TM to your new HD that way

And I have had no issues with after market RAM or my WD HD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just got the same upgrades as you: 4GB Crucial RAM and WD 500GB Scorpio Blue and so far everything is working fine.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

More reliable than Apple's generic stuff. The genius is a moron, ram doesnt do anything to other components, I bet the ram that "broke" the logic board still works fine.

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Aftermarket parts are perfectly reliable, no different or often better than the stuff Apple puts in. Getting used RAM or HDD can be iffy though you never really know the conditiion.

Used doesn't guarantee crappy quality but it makes the possiblilty a lot higher

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I guess there are people still stuck in the Apple Ecosystem that believes there is really "Apple RAM" and "Apple HDD's" that are different from the rest.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its generic. You cant buy it in the stores because its brandless, plain chips from Hynix or Samsung. Its the same stuff you get from Dell or HP or E-Machines, the cheap stuff that only have to meet the requirements of the system theyre used in.

Branded ram also get their chips from Hynix/Samsung/whoever but they require stuff that can handle more abuse like overclocking (assuming you dont go the cheap route of course).

13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Plenty of people buy them for status and because they "are betterer" without understanding why they want them. Not judging, just observing.

I believe Apple is still using Asus and Quanta to actually make the Macbook and Macbook Pro, respectively.

Apple designs some nice things, but they are using OEM manufacturers like everyone else.