Are Airplay speakers like this available?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrDomVonDoom, Jun 8, 2012.

1. DrDomVonDoom macrumors 6502

DrDomVonDoom

...and if not, should they be?

My idea is to make, a plug and play Airplay speaker, simply put, a design much like the Airport express, except with speakers attached to it.

What I found frustrating about the Airplay deal is this, I wanted some speakers in my bathroom, but its a messy place to have speakers, lots of humidity, plugs getting in the way, not a lot of space.

What I had was a old ipod docking radio, that I plugged into my airport express, and the problem came to. Well one plug for the airport express, another for the speakers, now I got a third aux wire running down the middle. Why not have a all in one solution? A box with speakers, exclusively for airplay, with speakers on either side of it, with a flip out plug that allows for simple plug, steam and enjoy.

I want to know if anything like this exists, and if not do you think its something people would want? Something kickstarter fans might back up?

Thanks. :cool:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They already exist! Use google, there are plenty of speakers on the market

3. DrDomVonDoom thread starter macrumors 6502

DrDomVonDoom

I know theres plenty of airplay speakers on the market, but not portable all in one packages. You can get a large zeppelin or comparable in size, but I am talking about a mini speaker system that can fit anywhere without taking up space or additional outlet plugs.

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

The closest you can probably get is the iHome iW1. It has a rechargeable battery so there is no need for cables. Just have the docking station in another room.

http://ihomeaudiointl.com/iW1BC/

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

or the iW2, also from ihome, it's what i use in my bathroom, same form factor as the iW1, but no battery, so a bit smaller, they apparently re-designed the speakers and most of the reviews say the iW2 sounds much better. haven't heard the 1 so can't compare.
    it sounds really good. i Just moved, and thinking of picking up another once i figure out how i want to lay out the house.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you want to reuse your existing Airport Express, you may want to take a lookk at this:

http://airgo.russound.com/product.php

Its for outdoor use so should stand up well to the conditions in the bathroom.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Just a follow up....

I've seen the Russound AirGo in the past for $400 but wasn't willing to pay that much. This thread encouraged me to research the it some more and I found it at Crutchfield for half price, $200, so I ordered one. I also got a refurb AE gen 1 from Apple for $75.

The AirGo puts out some serious high quality sound, excellent in all ranges, including bass. This is the best stereo sound I've ever heard from a single speaker unit. And the volume is tremendous. It has a mute switch but doesn't have a volume control of its own, so be sure to turn down the volume in iTunes before pumping music to it or it'll knock you on your @ss.

Its got some good weight to it, I assume for a healthy amp. And a very solid build. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for what's probably the one of best sounding portables on the market.

8. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

9. stump54 macrumors member

At the risk of derailing this discussion, does anyone know if the jambox would work with netflix using an iMac and Apple TV on my flatscreen?

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Jambox connects via bluetooth, so you would have the problem with range that AirPlay doesn't have...

I wouldn't use Jambox as speakers for watching movies on a TV, there are much better alternatives.

11. stump54 macrumors member

Can you suggest a wireless alternative?

12. hafr macrumors 68030

No. But unless you can connect your TV to a pair of bluetooth speakers, Jambox isn't a wireless option either.

13. stump54 macrumors member

Thanks! I'll keep looking...