Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
They're wireless headphones. They pair instantly. They are well built and charge quickly. Music stops when removing one earbud, sound auto plays as mono when you put the other earbud back in the case. Little things like that. Plus they're comfortable and don't sound terrible.

Honestly unless you find yourself listening to a lot of music through headphones and walking around while you do it, it's probably no biggie. I wouldn't use them if I was just sitting and listening to a song recreationally due to the comparative poor quality to wired dynamic range headphones. But when you're out and about, they can't be beaten.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I swear by them just for the convenience factor alone and sound quality is not bad either plus the long long battery life. Unless you’re looking for premium sound quality, you should at least try a pair.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I love mine for multiple reasons. The audio output is clear at any sound level yet not loud enough to cause discomfort, they charge quickly, they pair with other Apple devices easily and not having a cord to catch on things and rip the earbuds out or knock your phone on the ground is also very nice..

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I can't live without mine. Besides listening to music when I'm working I love using them on my walks, and now I can listen to Audible books on my watch without taking my phone. I also appreciate them paired with the Apple TV when I don't want to disturb the household.

They are one of the best-designed and one of my most-loved Apple products.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
I love mine. Super convenient and I found them so much easier to charge and operate than other Bluetooth headphones.

The killer feature for me is how well they integrate with my Apple Watch while working out.

I’ve also bought two pairs for family. One of which is not very tech savvy but I’m not concerned with these.

Reactions: ladytonya

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
They're wireless headphones. They pair instantly. They are well built and charge quickly. Music stops when removing one earbud, sound auto plays as mono when you put the other earbud back in the case. Little things like that. Plus they're comfortable and don't sound terrible.

Honestly unless you find yourself listening to a lot of music through headphones and walking around while you do it, it's probably no biggie. I wouldn't use them if I was just sitting and listening to a song recreationally due to the comparative poor quality to wired dynamic range headphones. But when you're out and about, they can't be beaten.

Great summary, agree completely.

Reactions: millerj123

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
No!!!! Point blank. The only upside to the air pods is the seamless connection that’s it.
Can’t increase volume
Can’t advance tracks
Why in the hell would I want to stop my music to Simon Siri to to turn volume up down or go to next track or replay smh.

It’s plenty wireless option that is superior to the AirPods

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No!!!! Point blank. The only upside to the air pods is the seamless connection that’s it.
Can’t increase volume
Can’t advance tracks
Why in the hell would I want to stop my music to Simon Siri to to turn volume up down or go to next track or replay smh.

You know, you can change volume or skip songs via an Apple Watch or an iPhone. AirPods, like most Apple products, shine brightest when in the ecosystem.

Yes it’s annoying but if you’re considering them as wireless headphones alone, you’re missing the point a little.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Can’t increase volume
Can’t advance tracks

You can set the tap feature to advance tracks. I have my left double tap set to next track and the right side to play/pause.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008

This is it. With my phone in my pocket, I'd get the wire on my headphones caught on everything. With the AirPods, that never happens. When running, you can still hear everything going on around you. For that matter, they don't completely block sound, so you can always be aware of your surroundings. I had one pair of bluetooth headphones for running, and one for listening to music at work. Since getting the AirPods, they are all I use.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
They are probably my favorite Apple product. They just work. The AirPods/Watch combo cannot be beaten for runners/walkers especially if you have a cellular watch. I really cannot think of a single negative thing to say about them. They are not overly expensive, they sound good for what they are, they last a good amount of time. Mine are almost exactly 2 years old and the batteries are still more than adequate. That will likely vary depending on how often you are using them. I cannot recommend them enough. Everyone that I know who has gotten a pair has loved them.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You can set the tap feature to advance tracks. I have my left double tap set to next track and the right side to play/pause.

This

I’ve got mine setup as left double tap previous track, right double tap next track and for pause and play I just take one of them out and put back.

Reactions: ladytonya

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
They are probably my favorite Apple product. They just work. The AirPods/Watch combo cannot be beaten for runners/walkers especially if you have a cellular watch. I really cannot think of a single negative thing to say about them. They are not overly expensive, they sound good for what they are, they last a good amount of time. Mine are almost exactly 2 years old and the batteries are still more than adequate. That will likely vary depending on how often you are using them. I cannot recommend them enough. Everyone that I know who has gotten a pair has loved them.

Okay I have a series 4 cellular, but don’t actually have the cellular turned on yet - it never worked on my series 3, so I just haven’t taken the time to go into AT&T and get it set up.

What are the differences between what I can do with it with/without cellular (as far as the AirPods go)?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Okay I have a series 4 cellular, but don’t actually have the cellular turned on yet - it never worked on my series 3, so I just haven’t taken the time to go into AT&T and get it set up.

What are the differences between what I can do with it with/without cellular (as far as the AirPods go)?
That would only really effect streaming music or podcasts. You can still listen to locally stored music without an issue.

polkadots12

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
Any idea if the airport 2 version would be upgraded to add volume changes easier? Ie sliding up or down earphone to adjust volume

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Okay so reading through another thread about them falling out, and it’s making me wonder - is the fit just like the regular earbuds? I don’t find those the most comfortable to wear, so I’m curious if these are just like that.

No one I know well enough to let me try them has any. ;-p

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Okay so reading through another thread about them falling out, and it’s making me wonder - is the fit just like the regular earbuds? I don’t find those the most comfortable to wear, so I’m curious if these are just like that.

No, they don’t fit the same way. There are several thread about folks modding them with tape or silicone to get them to stay in. I’ve never had any problem with the fit.

Reactions: artfossil

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

The fit is not the same. I never liked the EarPods because they kept falling off but the AirPods have never fallen off my ears and I wear them everyday on the commute to work and back and also at the gym doing all sorts of cardio plus weight lifting exercises.

Reactions: artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.