Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MvdM

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I read many posts of people saying that their 23" cinema display:
- shows a sort of burn in effect when using the same image for a while
- displays pink instead of white after using it for a year or so

How many people are here having this display and how many have these problems? I want a new display but can't decide whether this thing is good or not.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Remember that very rarely will someone who's not having any problems take the time to post such in the forums. Usually, only those with some problems will post, so you're seeing the small minority of users. Overall, the ACDs are excellent quality, although there are a lot of us anxiously waiting to see them update the line.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I think they're great if you want them to match with your Mac. It's an important consideration for some. Otherwise - I'm quite lukewarm on them. I've had far too many which exhibit very patchy illumination, which apparently passes their repair standards (i.e. comes back to us unrepaired).

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Well I've had my 23" cinema display for just over a year now and I have had no problems with it what-so-ever. I haven't heard much noise about burn in or pink tints either. What were you looking at that made you nervous?

MvdM

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Well I've had my 23" cinema display for just over a year now and I have had no problems with it what-so-ever. I haven't heard much noise about burn in or pink tints either. What were you looking at that made you nervous?

I was reading a lot of posts here on MacRumors and the Apple Discussion forum and saw people complaining a lot about these issues. It looked to me like these are common things for the 23". Maybe I should start a poll...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was reading a lot of posts here on MacRumors and the Apple Discussion forum and saw people complaining a lot about these issues. It looked to me like these are common things for the 23". Maybe I should start a poll...

Even with a poll, most of the people who have no problems will probably not be reading your thread. There again, you'll end up with a disproportionate weight given to the thread-watchers who have issues, making the results of a poll entirely inconclusive. If you want one, buy one and buy AppleCare with it. If you have a problem, they'll fix it or replace it.

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
I've seen the same problem posts. We have quite a few 23" displays at our office, and only one has problems. It's pink all around the edges. But on the whole, they're nice monitors.
It's a shame Apple won't update their displays. I don't want to have a Dell monitor connected to my Mac Pro. I would feel...dirty.

MvdM

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
How old is that acd with the problem? Is it older than the others?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The ACDs are very good monitors, with high quality LCD panels, though absent of many inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.