Are all 3gs unlockable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by carlosjoan91, Dec 7, 2011.

1. carlosjoan91 macrumors newbie

Just a simple question, is any 3gs unlockable? (don't care if tethered or untethered, just want to know if they can or cant be unlocked) The thing is I am in the process of buying one, however all information I find is really old, so I just want to know the current status, are all unlockable? if not, what do I need to check before buying? Thanks!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, all 3GS can be unlocked. However, if the one you are buying has baseband that does not support by Ultrasn0w, you will then have to install an Ipad baseband onto it in order to unlock it. By doing so, you will kill the GPS of the phone.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you don't mind installing the 6.15 ipad baseband and losing your gps then yes.. however some research and you will be rewarded.. sticky up top.. my sig has links Iclarified google..

4. carlosjoan91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers, but for example, i had already checked the jailbreak wizard in the link on your sig, and if i select iphone 3gs, ios 5.0.1, bb 05.16.05 (which i assume is worst case scenario) it comes up with not ulockable, that's what brought me to ask, is this an error on the website? can this combination actually be unlocked with the ipad bb or not?

By the way, a specific combination im probably getting is this: 4.3.3 BB 05.16.05, old bootrom, blobs saved since 3.1.2, already jailbroken. In the website this combination wasn't selectable, is it unlockable (even with the ipad bb, i dont really care too much about gps)

5. saud0488 macrumors 6502

NO. not all cna be unlocked.

The newer 3GS that Apple put out this summer (usually come in the box with the iCloud logo on the side) cannot be updated to the 6.15.00 baseband. I've tried on a few and no luck. Most can be unlocked but the newer ones cannot be.

6. carlosjoan91 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I had already seen that the newest ones had a diferent baseband chip and cant be unlocked even with the ipad bb, i was referring to the ones with the old bb chip. Well, i already purchased the one i mentioned, ill see how that turns out. Thanks