Are all Firewire 800 Cables the Same?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by olletsocmit, Jul 3, 2015.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I have a 4TB G-Drive and i want to move it to another desk to give me more room on my current one. I use Firewire 800 with the drive. I was looking around the net for a 15ft cable. There is really not many out there... seems i am old school running FW800 over USB. So my question is... are they all the same. Are they just like HDMI cables where you can get ones at best buy for $200+ and also ones online for $10 and the quality looks the same... I am not sure if that's the same with FW800 or now.

I see $50 ones like this: https://www.tethertools.com/product/tetherpro-firewire-800-9-pin-to-9-pin-15ft-4-6m/

and then....

cheaper ones like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360980100248

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Cables can be cheaply/bad and some are not shielded well. Those that monoprice sells work well.

4. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

So i just got my 15ft FW 800 cable in the mail... it was like $20 shipped. from just looking at it, the quality looks fine to me. I did some speed tests, and it seems slow to me, what do you guys think? Would i benefit from getting one of those high quality $60 cables?? The higher end ones seem to look different them normal ones. they have little plastic capsules on each end. I have post a pic below of the the higher end ones have the the normal ones dont, what is this thing?

see the 2 orange little plastic capsules...
    [​IMG]

Here are my speeds when i tested with my cheap 15ft cable...

[​IMG]

5. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

I used cheap ones, even ones with metal connector. They all delivered around 67MB/s.

6. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

That's weird, i am getting under 50MB and your getting almost 20 more than me... what program are you using to test your speeds. I would like to do a test the same way you do to compare evenly.

7. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Aja system test.

Or simply copying big files and looking at Activity Monitor.

8. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I tried a big file and watched in activity monitor. The issue is that it really fluctuates a lot. Seems to go all over. Spike from 45 then 3 sec later hit 55, then keep spiking up and down.

I will try and post a video in a few hours of what it looks like on my screen.

9. cube macrumors G5

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead
    This is the kind of cable I like.

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The round blocks are just ferrite-beads for noise suppression. You can purchase snap-on ones from Amazon to add to any cables you already have. They come in different sizes for different cable diameters. I add them to all my USB 3.0 cables these days!

11. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Do you have an example link for the USB addon?

12. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

Ok so this 15ft FireWire 800 cable i got online is ok... but could be better but for $20 I can deal. the only issue is the end of the FW800 cable is a little too big. The 5ft one had a smaller end. The prob is that the ports are so damn close on the left side of the MacBook Pro. I always have the FW800 plugged in 24/7 to access my G-drive. But next to it is the Mini display Port which i use a lot! I have to push it in way too hard for my liking since it rubs against the FW800 one. Does anyone know a company who makes one with a smaller end or do i have to trim some off of this one.