are all google images safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jas123, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

I always wondered if they are safe to click on and see larger images or go to the site.

Just a minute ago I did, clicked to see a larger version, and it ended up downloading the .jpg to my computer. The image then opened up automatically.
    Is there any harm to this?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:confused:

It's not like those images are google's. They're just indexed by the search engine. But yes, you're most likely safe. Sometimes that's just how the images show up.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

On a mac there shouldn't be much trouble. I assume you have your browser set to automatically open downloaded files.

The sites those links bring you to aren't always good though. Some enlarge the image, others seem to hijack the window and lead you somewhere else, and use javascript or something to prevent you from going back easily. On a Windows machine I would be careful since it can easily get a virus or something if thrown off to some shady site, but there's less to worry about on OS X.

Not to say there's NOTHING to worry about, you still require some common sense. I would stop the browser from auto opening files that were downloaded, but that's my preference.

5. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

So b/c i had the open "safe" files after downloading preference checked, the image was opened.
    My question then, is, are all "movies, pictures, sounds, PDF and text documents, and disk images and other archives"--safe?