Are all mice compatible with Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macjay, Jul 28, 2007.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

Hi,

I once bought a Targus mini mouse for my iBook and noticed that whenever I woke the iBook from sleep I would have to unplug the mouse then plug it in again to get it to work. When I played with a third party Macally mouse at a store I noticed it didn't do that and whenever the Mac Mini that it was attached to woke from sleep the mouse functioned fine.

How do I know when I buy a mouse whether it will be fully compatible with a Mac? Is it a question of drivers, etc.?

Thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think its some kind of issue that the iBook is forgetting that it had a peripheral attached to it when it wakes up from sleep. taht would be quite annoying....

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Any mouse will work, but for full functionality I would reccommend a Kensington, Logitec, or some other brand that actually provides mac drivers. My parents got a cheap Microsoft mouse/keyboard setup for their macbook and it really sucks sometimes. I don't know what they were thinking!:confused:

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I love Microsoft Mice I'm using the MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 at the moment, but installing the drivers for it caused lots of problems so I'm just using the built in Apple ones which are fine.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i am also using a microsoft mouse, an dit works great didn t have to install anything at all just plug-in and play, ($9.99 at best buy)

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Agreed, Microsoft can really make good mice, hardware-wise. Serious problems with the drivers though.

I made the mistake of installing drivers when I'd just switched from Windows. If I just had tested the mouse without drivers first, I would have discovered that OS X supported all buttons etc. automatically and saved myself a whole lot of trouble. But well, how was I to know? In Windows, the same mouse required drivers in order to allow mapping of buttons to actions...

My favourite mouse, the Intellimouse Optical may be a bit dated but is dirt cheap nowadays, and I really like the symmetry. It works just as fine with the left hand as the right one.

7. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

No, not all mice will work with macs. Try hooking up a PS/2 mouse, and see there are no connectors for it.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

try steermouse or usb overdrive. some mice just won't entirely work with native drivers (if they even exist) or those two though...like my razer copperhead, some of the side buttons can't be configured in macosx.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

The Kensington expert trackball works for me, but then I am into having total control at my fingertips.;)

10. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    At school I sometimes use one of the Apple Pro mice in the lab with my PowerBook. Sometimes it takes it around 30 seconds to detect the mouse after I woke it up... the mouse would light up up on the bottom, but it produced no response in the meantime. My PowerBook is getting pretty slow, and if MS Word was open when I put it to sleep it took the longest.

If I did unplug it and plug it back in, the computer would detect it right away (or at least faster). I'm not sure why.

Point being, maybe you should wait a little bit for the mouse to be detected, especially if you have a slow(er) computer.

12. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Unless you get a PS/2-USB connector... :rolleyes:

I did that for quite awhile with a mouse I really liked from my old white-box PC. It worked great.