Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I feel like random mini usb cords charge my Nexus 7 slower then others, and sometimes can't even keep up with me using it.

anyone else experience this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Most of them are the same. Some devices like Motorola's have a special factory cord that can be bought for recovery purposes. It has an extra resistor in it to charge the device without it booting. Beyond that, they're all just copper wires

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
No, they aren't all the same. Some connectors have shoddy construction and poor shielding leading to decreased data throughput and decreased amperage for power.

There are also cables whose connector pins tend to lose their 'spring' quickly which makes the connectors slip out of the slots easily.

It is well worth the extra money to get a good, quality USB cables. I have had my share of cheap ones and its just not worth the hassle.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
They are not all the same. Hopefully this post from AC helps you out.

From android central

"the cable that comes with the N7 is a standard USB charge/data cable. However the charger that comes with the N7 has the data connections already shorted. To get the same charge rate with a standard wall charger, you do need a data only USB cable (has the data pins shorted). If you use a standard charger and a standard cable, so the data connections are there, the charge rate will be very slow and may not show as charging at all."

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I am using a micro usb cable that came with my Bose bluetooth headphones to charge and transfer with a Sony camera and my HTC M8, works good.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
what is powering the usb cord is the biggest difference, car and computers charge slower than a wall plug, and the power adapter that you plug into the wall also makes a big difference. Most are rated at 1amp but some are 2amp and in theory can charge twice as fast if your device can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.