Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I just picked up 3 video cards from eBay. They were advertised as good used cards. I bought 7950's Saphire Edition.

The first one has a fan that spins really loud and then loses picture in about 30 seconds.

The second one loses picture in about 15 seconds.

The third one seems to work for about 5-10 minutes and then shuts off.

Is it possible because these are PC video cards that I am having issues. I realize there won't be any boot screen, but I'm wondering if all of the video cards are busted, or if they just don't play well in my 2009 Mac Pro on Yosemite for some reason. A 5770 and a GT120 both work perfectly in the Mac.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
On that third one, it might be overheating. I would reapply the thermal grease for a quick test, if you're comfortable doing that. I once bought a Radeon 4850 a while back and it would act similarly (work for about 5-10 minutes and then shut off) until I redid the thermal compound. (It was overheating.)

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
I too vote to reapply the thermal paste. Sounds like you may have bought cards that were used as miners, amazing how quickly that can destroy a graphics card.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I'm wondering if I should file a complaint with Paypal.

I am wondering also if Chrome could have caused these problems? I do use chrome occasionally. I'm testing these now in a second machine to see if there are any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.