Are all the new mac pro's just Quad-Core or 8-Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davelanger, Aug 30, 2009.

1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Are there not any Duel-Cores anymore?

Btw, what is the better graphics card to put in a mac pro to run WOW?
    The NVIDIA or the ATI?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dual core MPs have never existed!!

the ATI is probably better, who knows though. give it a google

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to expand:

- 2006 Mac Pro had 2x dual core Xeons
    - 2008 Mac Pro had 2x quad core Xeons and an option for a single CPU
    - 2009 Mac Pro has 2x quad core Xeons (Nehalem, 4 cores, 16 threads) and an option for a single CPU

4. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

6. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured a dual would be a tad cheaper than a quad, but the magic number seems to be around $2500 for the cheapest desktop you can get.

I have a G5 that is about 5 years old now, it still runs well, but not for any kind of gaming. I supposed I could just build a powerful PC for $1000 for the gaming, and keep my older mac for everything else.

I have always bought macs, its just a pain paying about $2500-3000 every 5 years or so for a newer computer.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hackintosh is always a viable option in my eyes. it has been discussed a lot lately and people are probably getting tired of it, but its not just some silly phase that will disappear im afraid. for $1k you could get an identically spec'd PC, install OSX onto it and be able to game with it at the same time.

you could use your old G5 as a data server or media centre or what-have-you.

im just rambling, ignore me :p

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

intersting. this thread has some nice results.

the 4870 floggs the 8800, and it even beats the GTX260. so it looks like a nice solution.

9. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Its never an intelligent option.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont start something you cannot win ;)

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

I'm surprised you haven't learned that by now.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

your argument is always the same.. "its not supported, there is no tech support or warranty" etcetc.

that doesnt matter, what matters is stability and the price v return - both of which are in my favour

14. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Thats because facts don't change.

None of which matters to to anyone but yourself.

Make excuses all you like to try and justify poor logic, reality doesn't change to meet your imagination.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

*slow internet*

i think it matters to a lot of people. there are many many times more poor people then there are rich people. there are many many people who want the cheapest prices and the best performance - do you seriously like paying tons of money for a product that will perform worse then a cheaper product?

and how can you argue that stability is not important? are you sure your logic is correct? because that just seems odd to me..

for a company that is going to buy hundreds/thousands of them i can understand, they wouldnt be using OSX anyway - but for the home user, small business owner and millions of artists that fork out the money for Macs (especially now with the MP being more costly then ever) it is a very nice alternative as well as a fun project to embark on. i know it was for me.

16. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

There is no such thing except in your imagination.

Because OSX on a genuine Mac (which is what it was designed for) is and will always be more stable than on some cobbled together hackintrash.

So that means everyone should go out and put a wanna-be Mercedes star on the hood of their Honda because they can't afford the real thing? Reworking your own words, "hackintrash builders are poor posers."

People with flawed thought processes rarely see their own flaws.

Using hackintrashes would be a really dumb business decision. Not only are you risking legal problems but you'll have no technical support and spotty reliability.

There is that out-in-space imagination again. Have you actually compared feature prices with the junk Mac Pro "competition"?

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my imagination must be pretty good then, as it feels like reality to me.

you do understand the only difference between a Mac and a Windows computer these days is the EFI/BIOS thing, right?

by your words, every custom PC is "cobbled together", as they are made by humans?

no, not in the slightest. that analogy has nothing to do with it.

this would be somewhat like using a different air freshener in the car, or having leather vs cotton on the seats - or what have you. the quality improves yet the stability/performance of the car is still there (true, it may void your warranty ;))

if you are going to be offensive then this is no place to be. keep the personal attacks out.

in a large business yea it would be silly, in small businesses they wouldnt care..

come on, if your smart enough to build a hack then your smart enough to fix it yourself.

all i can do is laugh at this statement.. you should go build your own and see how wrong you are.

59.64% of all voting mac users in "the merged hackintosh thread" have either build a hack or are considering it, id take that as a fairly large chunk of "competition".

features and prices have been compared, i know which ones perform better, do you?

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Desktop tower Macs and custom built Hackintosh PCs have their strengths and weaknesses.

tower Macs are much more expensive than building your own but are guaranteed to work but are engineered very well. Hackintoshes are more of a hobbyist's computer so take a little fiddling to make them work just as well as Macs and break the EULA but are much less expensive and offer more configurations for people who dont wont a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac Pro.

but personally im against Hackintosh notebooks (unless its something Apple doesnt offer like a netbook) becuase the build quality to price ratio is a lot smaller than a Mac Pro.

19. kevink2 macrumors 65816

This is something I'm seriously considering later this fall once I'm reasonably assured that I have a job for another year. Buy an inexpensive netbook with 9 or 10" screen, upgrade the RAM to 2GB, and see how it goes. I figure that a small netbook that I can use at work during lunch to browse the web, and that is bigger than my iphone, would be nice.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hackintosh has it's place. It all depends on the specifics.

For example, enterprise users wouldn't want to do it, given the support issues. A single point of contact is important in that situation. Vendor purchased systems can also be financed, which is of extreme importance in this realm.

For personal users, or SOHO (independent pros for example), it may make more sense. They can save some cash, especially if they've components they can recycle (i.e. cases, PSU, drives, and graphics), and customize the system in a manner not possible, or at least feasible on a MP (i.e. the case for example, if a large internal RAID is needed).

The compromise is they're responsible for any and all support issues. A part dies, they have to deal with it. Software issue, they'll almost certainly have to deal with it (absolutely if OS, maybe on applications, depending on what's going on).

In the later case, financing = pay for all of the system at time of build. Parts can be staggered, depending on budget/time limits, or need (upgrades). But for the basic system (minimum needed to make it work), all parts have to be purchased, and on hand before the system can be assembled, and software loaded (hacked).

So to me, arguing from either POV,depends on a specific set of circumstances, and neither is invalid. ;)

21. ManiG macrumors member

To the OP:

Why ask this question here, when the answer is plainly visible on the Apple website ... :confused: Not trying to be mean, just truly confused!!

With regards to hackintosh ... for those of us who use our Macs daily, for work purposes, hackintosh is NOT an option, not by a stretch, for sooo many reasons. END OF STORY!!! Now if I didn't use my Mac for work and just wanted to try out OSX, then of course it's a great idea.

22. kirreip macrumors regular

Sure... :rolleyes:

Well, aren't we all stupid to buy a MacPro? :confused:

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

It could easily be to differing ideas of spec though, as many may not understand the differences, or don't need it (and know it). ECC memory support for example.

And the savings can add up in the changing from Xeon + ECC memory to consumer grade CPU + non ECC memory. Additional boards can also come into play, thus allowing further savings, or configurations (slots for example).

Given some MP users don't really need ECC, such a comparison may be valid, but they chose the MP for warranty and time issues. But for others, who've decided to upgrade, or switch to OS X, it's an attractive alternative.

All a matter of perspective, and up to each person to do the research and decide for themselves. :)

24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Wtf, because i cant afford a new mac, im a poor poser, wow, just wow.

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you are getting it primarily for gaming and you want to get a Mac, consider getting an iMac instead.