Are all these messages bogus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Jun 7, 2017.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I received all these pop up windows after trying to watch some streaming movies on line. One pop up even ask me to call Apple so that they can assist, otherwise they will stop the operation and prevent the com from further damage. I hv ignored all of them but whenever I restart and log onto Safari, these pop up windows come back again. It appears my other browser like Chrome or Firefox is not affected. Perhaps not infected yet.

Are all these genuine and shld I rescan by clicking on it. Or shld I do a clean installation. If clean installation is recommended, how it is done (sorry quite noob n this). Am running a Yosemite.

all virus.jpg

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you have some Malware on your system. The easiest way to get rid of this is to get Malwarebytes and scan your system. It should clean it up.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Yes, they ARE "bogus".
    As daflake suggests, get and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Yep, that'll do it. As others have said, get Malwarebytes and update to macOS Sierra since you're still on Yosemite.

6. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Tks for the help.

I'd not wish to upgrade to OS Sierra as some of the program will not work. The max I can go is Yosemite. I have already run the Malwarebytes and can only get rid of 2 out of the 4 pop ups. Whats the next step pls. Tks

7. maclad macrumors newbie

I haven't received these particular bogus "Apple" webpages but I have some received some similar to the first, I just quite Safari and they do not reappear after restarting.

8. jtara, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

jtara macrumors 65816

Quite frankly, if you are getting these popups while watching "streaming movies" you are likely visiting some shady parts of the Internet. You shouldn't get these, for example, while visiting Netflix or Youtube.

You probably don't have any malware. These are just clever popup ads trying to convince you to pay for some software you don't need (like MacKeeper) or worse (luring you to a site that will take your money and give you nothing, steal your identify, or, in fact INSTALL some malware.)

None of this stuff is from Apple. For one, Apple uses proper spelling and English grammar in all of their communications. Few of these poor attempts at luring users into a trap bother.

I would advise browsing such sites from within a VM where you only browse, or using a USB or CD-rom Linux installation that doesn't use your hard drive.

If you have VMWare, or VirtualBox (VMWare costs, VirtualBox is free) you will be able to find pre-made small virtual-machine images meant specifically for "safe browsing".

At least make sure Safari is up to date, or use Chrome. And let Chrome auto-update. Chrome is probably your best bet for an old OS, as Google keeps it up to date even on old OSs.

Another alternative is to use e.g. an iPad or even iPhone (you can send the video to an AppleTV) which are not susceptible to malware. I would have SOME concern about using an Android device/Chromecast, as Android devices still are not as locked-down as iOS.

9. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Anything that pops up that you did not explicitly click. Close it and move on. If it opens again, close again.

If you can't close the pop up, force close Safari, reopen then go back to what you were doing.

Especially when it comes to Apple stuff, If you did not type in to go to Apple.com / something. Don't trust it.

Try to think of it as if you're walking down a street and you did not walk past an Apple Store but some guys walks up out of nowhere with an Apple T-Shirt on and says here, buy this completely legit iPhone. It's legit because I am saying it is.
    Or you are standing in a grocery store. You show no symptoms of being sick and then a Doctor walks up from the produce isle and says Dang Jim you looks sick, here sit down and give me your CC info so I can help you get better.
    Like .... I'm in a grocery store Doc, wtf did you come from?

10. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey. Tks to all. Very helpful info.

So I'll just ignore and move on