Are all Verizon iPhone 5s SIM unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hanzisripped, Sep 24, 2012.

1. hanzisripped macrumors newbie

Just curious if anybody can answer this question. Are all Verizon iPhone 5s SIM unlocked?

I know if you get an AT&T iPhone 5 (non-contract) it is unlocked only from the Apple Store, but not Best Buy, etc. Is this true with the Verizon phones as well? Or could I get a Verizon iPhone 5 at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack etc and the SIM will be unlocked as well.

Does anybody know for sure? I hope so, this will make my next iPhone 5 hunt that much easier.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    And they announced today they will not lock them with future firmware updates either.
    All verizon iPhone 5 models are unlocked international and even for US gsm use.
    Lte will not be compatible with AT&T but 3G hspa+ will work fine.
    Sprints iPhone 5 is still locked. You can get it unlocked but only for outside the US with gsm carriers.
    Kinda cool by Verizon,they pleasantly surprised me and many others with that move

3. gametime10 macrumors regular

If I buy a brand new Verizon iPhone 5 from Craigslist, would I be able to activate it using my T-Mobile SIM?

4. ericrwalker, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Wrong. Stop spreading misinformation.

6. ericrwalker, Sep 25, 2012
  7. MCRunning macrumors 6502

It was already stated earlier in this thread. Read the 2nd post. And you said The verizon iphone doesn't support GSM, not "pretty sure it doesn't". :rolleyes:

8. ericrwalker, Sep 25, 2012
  9. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

It will work with T-Mobile 2G/Edge, but you should get an AT&T iPhone 5 unlocked once T-Mobile rolls out it's 4G on the same LTE frequency Band 4. You're better off purchasing a $20 AT&T unlock code than spending the extra $50-$100 for a Verizon unlocked iPhone 5 because the wireless technology won't be optimal in 2013.

10. gametime10 macrumors regular

I hadn't heard about the $20 AT&T unlock code. If I buy an AT&T iPhone 5, I can take it to an AT&T store and pay $20 to get it unlocked?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you have to buy that imei unlock on ebay.
    I paid $18 to get my AT&T iphone 5 unlocked. AT&T will only unlock iphones locked to them once the 2 year contract expires or if you pay the ETF to get out of contract.

12. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

The AT&T iPhone unlock codes are all the same. The sellers were merely taking advantage of the hype last week. They seem to all be advertised at $9 now.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I saw one that was selling an iphone 5 unlock for $100:D WTF?
    I offered him $20 and he declined.
    Good, cause a few days later unlock_fusion came out with a $9 unlock fee auction:)