Are all watches same just different material, size, band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrMister111, Mar 10, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

So are all the Apple watches, sport, watch, edition versions all the same OS and it's just the actual material and band (and 2 sizes) that are different?

Do they all have same speed, memory, battery size etc?

Can you do the same things on all versions, siri, phone calls, maps etc?

2. avalys macrumors 6502

They are all the same, except the larger one apparently has a slightly larger battery. Apple has not published a separate battery life estimate for it, but said that it may be slightly longer.

3. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

larger one also has a larger pixel count on the screen. So technically the images you see could appear to have more detail.

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

This is all correct. They all function exactly the same.
    The sport does not get:
    - sapphire display glass
    - ceramic back
    And it's the lightest in the collections, due to aluminum being lightweight to begin with.

The larger, 42mm, has a higher pixel density btw.

5. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Battery size would negate itself since it's powering a larger display.

Also the battery is replaceable so in a few years when it now longer excepts a charge you can goto Apple and have the battery replaced. Pricing on that hasn't been disclosed yet.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to know they are all functionally the same then. Also I really hope that the battery is replaceable and Apple don't charge ridiculous amount to replace.

May be able to get one now, at the lower end, although I'll wait until summer to buy, and see what the reaction is.

I don't see 18 hours of use, 12 should be almost enough for a good day out and then a charge.

7. avalys macrumors 6502

You would think it would negate itself, but Apple has stated that the battery life for the 42mm may be slightly longer (I'm sure the standby time is longer, since that doesn't involve the display and presumably the electronics are otherwise identical between the two models).

From http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html:

8. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

That's not necessarily true at all. The iPhone 6 plus has a larger battery that is powering a larger display with higher pixels than the iPhone 6, yet it gets noticeably better battery life than the iPhone 6.

9. megadon macrumors 6502

More or less the same utility and features on all watches.
    I have no issues for paying up for quality, still mind boggling that people can justify a 17k watch made in China. To each their own and I'm sure a 700 b company like appl knows exactly what they're doing.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Agree, personally I know they may be nice, but that's ridiculous prices, and Apple are literally appealing to the it's an "Apple" watch, rather than a watch.

Maybe get one one it's been Inouye a few months, but if do will probably be sport one

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No, it doesn't. Has a higher resolution, yes, but the PPI on both are exactly the same.

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Apple expert offers shopping advice for the new Apple Watch

"There's absolutely nothing that the $17,000 watch can do that the $350 version cannot, other than appear more expensive. From my place as an "Apple Expert," which includes making recommendations to friends and colleagues, this makes my job really easy."

TechRepublic
    Jordan Golson
    March 19, 2015

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Ok that is what I thought. I was about to go back and look it up to make sure. If it had a higher PPI that would be awesome. Its like the iPhone 4/5/6: more pixels but same pixel density.

That will be interesting to see how much longer the battery life in the 42mm is. It can't be that much longer honestly because the case doesn't seem that much bigger but hey, what do I know?

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

So my theory on this is that it could be significantly longer if your usage pattern avoids screen use. For example, if you were using it for music more than checking mail/glances/etc. For something like music, it's almost certainly going to have a more significantly longer play time.

On devices like these, the screen is typically, by a large margin, the biggest power draw. Network connectivity for higher power networks comes in a close second, but, this watch doesn't have that. Just relatively low power BT and WiFi, which are mostly unused in typical usage scenarios.

So yeah... I don't think Apple really wants to bring it up, but, I am betting certain usage patterns will get a big boost out of the 42, and maybe even a few will lose time.

15. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Everything I've heard from people in the know, is that they both use the same size battery. I guess we'll know more on 4-24

16. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Looking forward to iFixit getting their hands on it!!

17. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

42mm has a pixel density of 302, 38mm has a pixel density of 290.

They're both Retina, and the difference is negligible. But, there is technically a difference in PPI.