Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Are the new aluminum MacBooks painted? Is that silver color paint, or is it just the color of unpainted aluminum?

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
i thought they are anodized ?

Anodization is a process that strengthens the protective oxide layer of aluminum. This process can be done by a "paint" but that doesn't effect whether or not there's solid or layered aluminum underneath.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anodization is a process that strengthens the protective oxide layer of aluminum. This process can be done by a "paint" but that doesn't effect whether or not there's solid or layered aluminum underneath.
It does affect whether it chips or not, like the older MacBook Pros or PowerBooks.

cryonic49

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
It does affect whether it chips or not, like the older MacBook Pros or PowerBooks.

I think he meant that stamped or milled aluminum are the same when it comes to anodizing..

And, yes there is no paint added during anodizing process for Apple's laptops. What you see is the natural aluminum color. It is, however, sand blasted before anodized, to create that matte texture feel.

Another thing is, Apple went for the cheaper form of anodizing. A real hard coat of anodizing is so hard (and scratch resistant) that it is second only to diamond!

So tempted to recoat my laptop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.