are antiglare/matte screens more durable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by falsecathedrals, Feb 23, 2011.

1. falsecathedrals macrumors member

I am planning on retiring my mid 2007 pre-unibody MBP in the coming weeks and buying a new MBP. I have to admit I am not the most careful person with my computers, I am constantly bumping the screen into things from walking around with the screen open and every once in a while it takes a fall off the couch. I have never had a problem with either my MBP or my old Titanium G4, they have stood up well to my abuse. I am worried though about the glass screens of the new MBPs. I know the antiglare screens are not made of glass, does anyone know if the antiglare screens are more durable and can stand up to bumps better than glass?

thanks!

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

ALL LCDs use glass in the display.

the current MBPs just have an additional layer of glass covering the whole assembly on the glossy screen versions it's also tempered glass... not aluminosilicate (gorilla glass) as used on many current smartphones, but it's heat tempered for strength and is much more durable and scratch resistant than just a plain pane of glass.

as for durability, where the matte is of course much less likely to break the top most layer due to being a composite and thus less brittle, it is more vulnerable to scratches than the tempered glass of the glossy display.