Are any of you NOT experiencing jumping wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by austincolby, Sep 4, 2010.

1. austincolby macrumors member

Earlier today, I asked whether anyone was similarly experiencing what I was- a wifi connection that is constantly (every few minutes) jumping from full bars to one, with the internet stopping, and then 20 seconds later jumping back up to full bars and working again.

Very quickly, a few people confirmed that they were experiencing the same thing (although in their experience, they were NOT experiencing a performance slow-down as well).

New question- are there people that are NOT seeing their wifi randomly swing from full to barely there, and back again, all while sitting in the same place, holding it the same way, etc?

I just received my new iPad yesterday. I'm not normally one to run back to the store for a replacement, but after 'taking it' with an iphone 3g that had/has a clearly very bad antenna stack that has me drop calls constantly, when my wife with the same phone does not, well... I want to err on the side of caution.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've had 0 WiFi issues since getting my iPad back in May, although its a pretty well documented problem from what i understand, hopefully the next update will provide a fix for it.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Not experiencing wifi issues. What ios ver do you have?

Check for updates...

4. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Owned for two months, used regularly on 4 or 5 different wifi networks. Been stable on all of them. Sorry your having problems.

(all networks/routers are prob new within the last 18 months. Is your unit very old?)

5. austincolby thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the latest- 3.2.1

It's like clockwork- I have full bars, I start loading a page, halfway through, it drops to one bear, hangs for a bit, then pops back up to full bars and finishes loading. This happens every few pages i navigate to...

This is happening on every router I've tried, from my clearspot 4g+ to my airport express (last revision) to my neighbors off-the-shelf net gear router.

It sounds like this is NOT normal, so I'm going to try exchanging at best buy (that's where my wife bought it) tomorrow.

Did anyone every identify a bad wifi batch or anything like that?

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Nope. Try sitting farther from your microwave.

7. b.c. macrumors 6502

No problems here with wifi, owned iPad for 3 months

8. PaulNY macrumors member

Zero wifi issues since owning (purchased last week in June), its the most stable I've used on an iDevice...I use a 5ghz network and its perfect. Even went on vacation on hotels fairly terrible wifi and had no drops.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

While there have been some documented wifi issues, that doesn't sound like one of them. Take it back and exchange it.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Mine works fine. It's at 3.2.2 which is the latest version. However, if you update to 3.2.2 you will not be able to jailbreak it, if you ever considered such a thing.

Cheers,

11. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You've got a problem. Mine has never done that. Take yours back.

13. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

2 months old iPad and ive never had any issues on various wireless networks that I use regularly.

14. EddyP macrumors 6502

Never had a problem. Using both N & G networks at home and public locations. (I have both N&G in my house) The only "issue" is the N network doesn't work as well in some of the corners of my house. But that's not an iPad thing. It's the same with my other devices.

15. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

2 iPads no WiFi issues...

I've had ZERO WiFi issues with a pair of iPads, 1 is 3G 1 is WiFi only.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I've had no isues at all - and if anyone was going to have issues it would be me as I live in an apartment building where in any given corner of our apartment I can find at least 6 other WiFi networks at any give time of day (there's also an office building next door which doesn't help). But I've had no problems with interference nor of the type as described by the OP.

By posting this though, I've probably jinxed it.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

18. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I've had mine since launch and used it on many different wifi networks and I haven't had any issues at all! [​IMG]

19. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Not one problem with wifi on my GFs iPad. It is used on many wifi networks and performs flawlessly. I cant wait to get one!!!

20. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

21. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

No wifi issues here: which includes connecting to home networks, work networks, and tethering.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine jumps visibly but it doesn't affect the connection ever.

24. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't have the jumping issue but I do have an intermittent problem with the iPad refusing to remember, or at least to reconnect to, my network.

It may have something to do with once in awhile being the first device connected after I reboot my router, I am not sure. It seems not to like that scenario on repeat visits for some reason. I don't have that problem with iPhone or iPod touch, and the laptops don't care either. Just the iPad. If it gets a .1 handed out to it at any point, then it goes haywire later and refuses to remember the network info no matter what address it finally receives on any subsequent connections. And, I am never sure what calms it down again.

Sometimes the problem lasts for days no matter what I reboot and no matter what devices I connect before letting the iPad have a go. Pesky brat. It's mildly irritating but at least by now I no longer have to look up my flipping password.

I live in a dead zone so I always have airplane mode on even though I do have the model with 3G option.