Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use the iPad pro for paid, professional work (not counting email, messaging, etc.)?

• I use the iPad for the majority of my work

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I use the iPad frequently for my work

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • I use the iPad rarely for my work

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never use the iPad for my work

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

farmerabc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I'm thinking specifically about the type of pros that Apple is marketing this towards (graphic design, video, general creative types) but feel free to answer if you use it and are in a different line of work.

(Apologies if this has been asked already, I couldn't find anything similar)

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Not for type of work you mention, but an iPad Pro is my work computer. I do text based work.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I use mine for drawing and painting, but an M4 would probably be overkill... I've been getting by just fine with a 2018 Pro. The new pencil looks cool, but I can't seriously justify a whole new tablet just for a stylus that should be backwards compatible

Reactions: Supermallet

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm thinking specifically about the type of pros that Apple is marketing this towards (graphic design, video, general creative types) but feel free to answer if you use it and are in a different line of work.

(Apologies if this has been asked already, I couldn't find anything similar)

I do use my iPad frequently for sketching out ideas using Sketchbook or similar.
I'll then throw it into Fresco for vector translation then over to Illustrator on my Mac for final tweaking.

Also using Lumafusion for some general video editing, but just occasionally.

That said, I'm on a 4th gen iPad Air with an A14 chip and it's more than enough. The only thing from Tuesday's event that interested me is moving up to a 13" iPad.

But instead of the overkill of a M4, I'll be looking at the M2 iPad Air or a refurbished 6th Gen M2 iPad Pro that is Pencil 2 compatible and has Promotion, better speakers, etc.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Not in a creative field but I am a Chief Technology Officer in the public sector and I use my iPad for Microsoft Office stuff constantly throughout the day, from Outlook to Teams, PowerPoint, etc. My most-used app is OneNote because I prefer to handwrite notes in meetings as when I type out notes I tend to think less about what I’m writing and I end up transcribing rather than taking useful notes.

When I’m in a meeting where we’re going through slides I really like writing notes on the slides as opposed to a notebook to maintain more context for my scribblings and having electronic versions of my slides instead of trying to retain print-outs of slides I’ve written notes on is great.

Also, big plus: when I‘m in a meeting I don’t really need to be in or contribute to, being able to have reddit in slideover without pulling out my phone or being obvious that I’m not paying attention is fantastic.

I feel like iPads are fantastic for office-type jobs; now that BYOD is catching on in our part of the government I’ve really started using my iPP as my primary office device, and am looking forward to my 13” being delivered on Wednesday.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
The MS Office suite is what a lot of people do most of their work in. I basically live inside of Outlook, Excel and word. iPad has all of those. There's also a 5250 emulator we use to access our inventory system.

The only thing I cannot do is advanced Excel stuff like importing SQL data, no ODBC to do it with. But I can remote into my Windows machine for that, so not too much trouble.

Reactions: Isengardtom

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
all the time as an exec coach, team facilitator, org development consultant - self-employed, mobile. I do some graphic design and layout work, and writing as well - I use the pencil regularly for notes, diagrams, graphics too.

I could get by with an Air, but I appreciate build and screen quality, and this is a key tool for running my business that I spend time on every day, so can justify the business expense.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Frequently :
- Monthly consolidation via the web app (evenings if I still want do do some light work from my couch)
- Teams / Outlook communication - probably even more teams video calls with the new camera in landscape
- occasionally note taking - Apple notes app or OneNote
- document signing
- Universal control : secondary screen when working from home with my M1 iMac
- viewing reports : SharePoint + O365 (excel - Word - PowerPoint)

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
All of these posts complaining about how no one can do "work" on an iPad really seem to be ignorant of how useful apps like Teams are on iOS/iPad relative to MacOS or even Windows

Of course, the vast majority of stuff people talk about in the replies can also be done on an iPad Air. But the iPad Pro is just nicer

farmerabc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
OK, I see that a lot of people are using iPads for business type apps, which as has been pointed out by others, would probably run just as well on any iPad as the iPad Pro.

Apple, however, is heavily marketing the Pro as a device for creative (photo / video / graphical) work. I'm wondering whether there are any creative pros out there who are choosing, for whatever reason (portability, pencil interface, or other) to do their paid work on the iPad rather than on a computer.

About me: I am not a creative pro myself, but I use Lightroom as a hobby. Having used it on both the iPad Air and on my MacBook (both MacBook screen and external monitor), I find the experience of photo editing on the computer much easier.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
I work in a typical corporate environment that has nothing to do with content creation you described.

Yet my iPad Pro is indispensable during a typical day. A lot of my work hours are spent in MS Teams meetings and sometimes in Zoom (external clients). I find Teams to be worlds better on an iPad where I am able to move around more freely rather than on a clunky laptop. The other stuff that I do is reviewing and signing of documents (PDF, Word) and doing web research.

I also use Microsoft Remote Desktop extensively for the times that I need to dial in and access certain legacy corporate systems.

It's interesting that Apple doesn't seem to hype the iPad more as an office device. There is a lot of us "boring" office folks who have never created or edited one second of video on their devices.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
All of these posts complaining about how no one can do "work" on an iPad really seem to be ignorant of how useful apps like Teams are on iOS/iPad relative to MacOS or even Windows

Of course, the vast majority of stuff people talk about in the replies can also be done on an iPad Air. But the iPad Pro is just nicer
True but in my case the iPad Pro is my main home computer too so for that side of things I want the “flex” of the nicer screen, promotion, quad speakers,…
for the business side I agree the air is more than capable

Crispe

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2022
I do illustration/animation for a living and use it daily for storyboarding and sketching. Don't use it at all for any other reason though. It's a very expensive (but great) drawing tablet for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.