Are any writers, journalists using the rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nychot, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I'm a writer-journalist, and recently got a base rMB to use, in part, with WORD. The screen and the keyboard are the best for my line of work. I also have a 2014 MBA 11" base, and a 2010 15" MBP along with a Mac Mini desktop and several samsung android tablets, including the Note Pro 12.2 tablet. All allow me lots of flexibility to work, whether in home office, on the road, or in bed. How are you others in the writing field handling the new rMB?

2. darkgremio macrumors 6502

Not in the line of creative writing, or authoring. I do write lots of abstracts for marketing case studies, and also I frequently use rMB for writing proposals and typical marketing type reportings. I have used previously a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch, this rMB makes writing a breeze on the go. Especially on an airplane with the limited space you have with a seat tray. I am able to manage both a folder and the rMB with ample comfortable room for typing. Also the battery life is an added feature. This computer is a no brainer if you fly a lot.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I'm not a pro writer, but I do a lot of writing in my line of work (blog posts on corporate intranet etc); and it's a joy to be able to throw a fully functioning laptop in my bag with a great screen and keyboard, so I can write on the train, in coffee shops etc. A great option for me and the keyboard encourages me to hammer the keys less, which is a good thing!

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm a journalist and this thing is heaven. It sure beats my 15" rMBP, which is a major pain to carry around. This one will fit in my iPad bag even, so it's super portable. It is my primary work computer and has caused me to almost completely abandon paper and pen. Best computer ever for journalists, especially those who report from the field.

6. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I am an aspiring SciFi author and I have done some editing of past drafts, written a couple short stories and I am currently in the process of writing the first draft for a new novel on the rMB. I use Scrivener, Storyist (re-trying it out since it has an iPad companion app and Scrivener still does not) and, because it seems one can never escape using it, Microsoft Word (the 2015 preview.) All of the apps run great and I personally LOVE the keyboard. To me this is one of the most perfect MacBooks (Air or Pro included-I've owned several in the past) that Apple has ever manufactured. Love the size, again the keyboard and the retina screen. Well worth the price, in my opinion.

7. rpsmithii macrumors newbie

rpsmithii

#1 thing needed for journalists/writers is LTE integration. I had that with a Sony laptop and it was heaven. kind of shocked Apple has not done that and no one else has called for the demise of apple for not doing it.

as argument - before we get the people will use too much bandwidth for the carriers - have you seen the tablet phone puse profiles. much more per device given the handiness.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, these days there are Wifi everywhere, so personally I do not think it is needed. And for what it is worth, Apple did do test with Powerbooks for integrating cellular connections, but didn't deem it worth it apparently. There's a prototype floating around on the net.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The solution has been on the table for years;
    [​IMG]
    I have used Huawei`s portable routers for years, their performance and flexibility is impressive, now including LTE CAT 6 & 802 AC. They also add further layers of security, in comparison to "open" WiFi..

Q-6

10. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

If you have a smartphone with mobile hotspot capabilities, you have Internet everywhere. I've never had a problem. I prefer that route because I don't want to pay an extra fee to add a laptop to my plan. That's why I carry a wifi iPad. The only downfall to that is that the iPad doesn't have GPS, and it would be nice to have that.

11. rpsmithii macrumors newbie

rpsmithii

Cant debate anyone of these arguments.

But I have lte in my ipone and ipad and would be very happy to pay another $10/month for the convenience of not having to mess around with a hot sport even with convenience of integration into the phone which I do now w/ bluetooth but have to have the phone with me etc.

I understand that the extra cost of the radio and monthly $10 not worth it for some but is for me and plus I frequently go places w/o wifi or do not want to get on a questionable wifi network.

12. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I'm an English professor. I use my MacBook for writing, annotating .pdfs, grading, online teaching, etc. I absolutely love it. It is snappy and handles productivity tasks with ease. The screen quality is amazing. I'm already used to the new keyboard. The weight and size make this the perfect laptop to use anywhere--class, the office, writing in the library or a cafe, etc. This is what I wanted the iPad/keyboard combo to be for me but there were too many limitations. Nothing compares to being able to use OSX. I was able to sell my 2012 15" rMBP and am currently using this as my main computer.

I might buy an iMac for my home office but I am waiting for a 5K 21" model. To be honest, with this MacBook I am in no hurry.