Are Apple missing a trick with Facetime?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chandler99, Sep 1, 2010.

1. chandler99 macrumors regular

Just a random thought of the day, but if ipods will be able to use facetime, are apple missing a trick in not utilising the camera in mac's to also be able to make facetime calls.. maybe through iChat or a new app?

2. Shreknow91 macrumors newbie

no, it just gives them something else to unveil in a year or two and make it seem like the best thing since sliced bread...

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

No, I think too much stuff at once can be difficult and make the Keynote longer :D

This would be a good feature that I can see coming sooner or later.

As to the comment above, surely every commercial product is marketed to make it look good? Apple just does it really well, I guess.

P.S. I love random thoughts of the day! Keep them coming :D ;)

4. pamon macrumors 6502

facetime will probably come to the macbook and imac's before long. they're focusing too hard on their mobile money now

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i would imagine that if you are an iPhone/iPad developer you can probably already use FaceTime on the macs.
    likely just a hack away to become universal. but i agree, they should release it for the macs soon especially if they allow mac to iphone chat.
    hopefully when they do it will apply to all macs with a camera.

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I can't imagine that Apple would continue to develop iChat and FaceTime simultaneously, so of course they will become the same.

Perhaps at the next 10.x release.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

To be even slightly useful, it needs to work on PC as well - thus iChat is out.

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Facetime being based on open standards, is it possible for any Mac developer to code a Facetime client for Mac (and/or PC) by now?
    If yes then someone could make some nice bucks until Apple wakes up and releases something.