Are Apple playing catchup again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superman041, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

By the time iphone 6 comes out their will be a samsung S6. So not worth debating. Close thread open on September 20th.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Spec wise, most high end Android phones will look better on paper but only Android fan boys care about stuff like that. But good luck with anyone one mobile phone outselling the iPhone.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree with the above. On paper the samsung may appear to be a better phone for some. Those people should buy it if they are spec driven.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Specs aren't everything but they certainly help. Here is a video from another member of his iPad Air.

http://youtu.be/WODr3OfZqp8

Notice it's refreshing every tab he clicks on. This is a waste of data plus you lose any information that's been input, scroll area, zoom level etc.

The way iOS works more RAM would help. I have my fingers crossed hoping iOS 7.1 fixes this but from what some testers are saying it's not noticeably or only slightly better.

Now interestingly enough the competitions tablet with even less specs then the Air doesn't suffer from this issue. It uses software rather then brute force. So not everything with the competition relies on specs.

Edit: before anyone tries to argue that fact I broke out my Motorola Xoom (first Android tablet) and tried to simulate the above video.

http://youtu.be/utBPbRVpRD8

Notice with many more tabs but no refreshing. Excuse the music just wanted a player going in the background like the other video.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's already been addressed that the constant refreshing of Safari tabs is due to iOS 7 not because of RAM. It didn't happen on my iPad with iOS 6 but now it does since I upgraded to iOS 7. iOS 7.1 is supposed to fix the issue

7. cynics macrumors G4

Agreed. I didn't have the issue on iOS 6 either. HOWEVER that's a tough claim since tabs were limited. Plus now we have a new OS that's more spec hungry.

Like I mentioned some people running iOS 7 b5 say it still does it. Not that I'm putting all my faith in what others say on the net, I'll have to wait to test it out myself.

More RAM isn't a requirement if iOS didn't utilize it for this operation like it does. So it could be fixed via software.

8. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Does apple even try to be in the leader in specs? Or does apple try to be in the leader in quality?

I couldn't care less what #'s are listed on a spec sheet. What I care about is experience and the iPhone gives the best one (for me).

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

apple does care about specs, their products benchmark very well

they just have different methodology

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Now I can get behind this statement. I would never buy based on the specs of the CPU, memory or display in a vacuum.

11. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

A phone with the best specs in the world useless if it just doesn't work well. Ive experienced high-end tech whose real world performance was just meh... Just give me a smooth working phone. Is that too much to ask? :p

12. Prise macrumors regular

From my perspective, I consider specs if I'm in the market for a machine to play the newest 3D games.

For a phone, not so much. All the its got, "X, and X, etc..." is all background noise to me. In other words, if other Phone manufacturers price their phones at the same price point as Apple, they'll never get my business, regardless of the specs.

However, if Samsung can make a phone 2 times better, and price it at 50% less, I'd consider it.

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

my issues with apple are never based with specs, its the restrictions

the you are a user, not an administrator.. mentality

14. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

The only things in terms of hardware Apple is playing catchup in really is screen size and maybe battery capacity, but even they are subjective.

15. cynics macrumors G4

I agree with this. Specs depend on the device and intended use.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest Mac available and expect it to be a great gaming machine. Nor would I run out and buy the latest and greatest gaming machine to do my taxes.

Mobile is a bit different like you said but WITHIN it's ecosystem. Dev's are a bit limited because they need to make sure all games work on all supported devices. In the Android ecosystem that does not apply. You can have a game that is made for the latest and greatest phone.

This is a double edge sword. Some people can play a game that is extremely cutting edge meanwhile some people can't even download it (without a hacked version and bypassing the play store blah blah).

So for us iOS device users specs aren't really a concern. Meanwhile an Android user may care about specs more, and for good reason. Plus in a lot of Android games you have the option to run high, med, low graphic detail. So an older phone might be only able to use low graphics while a higher spec device can run high.

This is why I always hated comparing specs and even benchmarks across OS's. Its not fair for either OS nor does it actually tell you anything about real world performance. Compare an iPhone 5s to a 5c or a galaxy S4 to a S3, that is more useful information that can be applied real world to an extent.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's not a touch claim, that is one of the reasons people are using the 7.1 betas have claimed its much better.

17. cynics macrumors G4

Sorry I was autocorrected to "does it" I intended to type "doesn't". As in the claims of people running it say it's not any noticeably better. Then I went on to say I need to try it myself though rather then just take their word.

We'll see. I'm hoping for the best though.

Edit.

Info I'm gathering is from several threads. But here is one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1704420

So as "claimed" it's not fixed.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Is Apple playing catchup again?

no, considering the constant success of the iPhone and iPads I still think they are on top of it. Probably neck and neck with Samsung.

19. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned, specs aren't everything. The main issue people have with iPhone is the customisable aspect.

20. Robster3 macrumors 68000

And that would be about 5% of phone owners. Most people wouldn't even know you can customize a phone, any phone.

21. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

I think it's those who know "more" than the average user. The ability to get constant news update on your favourite sports teams etc.