Are Apple Still Replacing Cracked MacBook Cases?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Goftrey, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I've heard that Apple are still replacing CrackBook cases for free, even when they're out of warranty. I was wondering if anyone knew set-in-stone if they actually do or not? I just don't fancy traveling around town tomorrow with a laptop under my wings if I'm just going to be turned down. Cheers.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but only if the Macbook is still in the supported stage of its lifecycle. If it is a vintage device, they won't. Currently, the mid-2007 is the oldest Macbook that they'll replace.

3. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Got my late 07 white macbook case replaced around 6 months ago for free - if it helps!

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

As long as it's less than 4 years from the date of purchase (or first registration), yep!

5. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Okay thanks for the replies. I went into my local Apple Store a couple of days ago and they basically said they'd do it for free, if the hard the part in stock, which they don't, and he says they're not restocking them anymore (obviously). So it looks like it'll have to be a DIY job. Just for reference mine's a late '06 C2D MacBook.

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i went last week to see if they replace my first generation black macbook topcase and they said is a vintage product and they don't have any parts anymore, he said just go on ebay.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's rather silly. The late-2006 and the mid-2007 Macbook have the same topcase part number. The mid-2007 is still supported for right now. Guess Apple's stock of 2006 to mid-2007 Macbook topcases finally ran out. Even a late-2006 to late-2008 Macbook topcase would work. You'd just have different buttons in some areas.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Anything before 2007 now is Vintage. Whether it's the same part number or not, it's impossible for them to do a repair paperwork-wise - and no paperwork = no liability insurance = no repair.

You can do it yourself relatively quickly - takes about 10 minutes or so - most of which is spent removing the 18 screws holding a piece of plastic in!

9. jwm2 macrumors regular

Quick question. I bought a mid 2009 white macbook yesterday on craigslist and it has some cracks and a big scratch in the middle of the screen. Due to the fact i'm the second (or third) owner of this unit will the local apple store do anything for me? Thanks

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They will replace the topcase without question.

11. jwm2 macrumors regular

Will they do anything about the big scratch on the screen? Just curious. The case isn't too bad so i'll prolly hold off on it unless they'll fix the scratch as well.

12. one1, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

one1 macrumors 65816

My mid 2010 unibody top is cracking at the back near the hinges. I need to get it replaced if they will.