Are Apple taking your machine for repairs?

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
It's frustrating. You love Apple and the Mac and you went as far to get Apple Care. But you live far from your Apple Store and it's between taking a day off work or a day you could spend with your family. What do you do? Give up on the ecosystem? Maybe. I know. I was thinking of it. Here's a way to communicate your frustration to Apple, though it will still cost you those days off... But it will cost Apple mor.e

(btw, any grammar mistakes are courtesy of my 1.5month old MacBook Pro TB. 512GB ) I left them in to show what caused my frustration.

Leave your Mac for it's 7 day repair at Apple
Buy a new MacBook Pro (the most expensive the better)
7 days later, when you collect your Mac refund the new Mac.

This will cost Apple a fortune. It's a good way to never have to lose out on your workhorse machine. It's on them. Two generations later and they haven't really done much. Certainly in the UK, we cannot even post our Macs to be repaired.

Hope this works for other people too.

Reactions: Ifti

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So giving them a free loan of your money for a week will show them?

How about just switch to another manufacturer if you are so unhappy. Life is too short. Move on and be done.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Yeah I've done this a few times too with my 2016 MBP 13", when everything you do is accessible via Adobe or iCloud Drive, it's pretty easy to get a loaner machine.

Fortunately now I have the 13" as a backup at my sisters place, but whenever that is a little too far away, a loaner has always been my go to. I'm not doing it to spite Apple, I just want to carry on working.

Just have to make sure that you don't damage the loaner, last thing you want is some serious damage on there.

Reactions: SDColorado

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
7 days it's pretty quick, few months ago I left rMBP 13" 2014 in Apple Store for screen replacement (problems with coating) and repair took over a month (out of stock screens for free repair under program), but they told me if pay they can do this even within few hours (full cost of screen + labour)

gary5709

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
unfortunately apple are taking the options away from 3rd party repairers bit by bit and this will only get worse - google have also marred things for repairers by banning paid ads containing reference to mac with the term repairs so my business is suffering massively and so will the consumer eventually as we are considerably cheaper than apple and usually a lot quicker

Last edited: