Are Apple They (Secretly) Glad Cydia Exists?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Jun 7, 2011.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Does anyone think that Apple looks at Cydia as a sort of proving ground for ideas, that they can leech from at their disposal?
    They could be closing exploits, just to keep the Dev Team 'honest' and give the jailbreak community focus, all the while, using it as an unofficial test bed for ideas and talent, as we've seen recently, with Apple hiring Peter Hajas(of MobileNotifier fame).

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Put it this way, Major League Baseball has an entire minor league system to pick the best players from for their teams. Cydia is Apple's minor league....

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Yes and no.
    Yes for the implementation of ideas that they haven't integrated into the ios. No, because of stupid people who pirate apps. Apple has a responsibility to their developers (and their bank account) to make sure that pirating apps is as difficult as possible.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But even Piracy is a complex issue.

Where would Windows, Office, Photoshop etc be if Piracy was never possible.
    It's been debated that many major companies actually owe their success in becoming big due to piracy in the 1st place.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm sure they do like having it around because there are very creative and very good developers that are serving the jailbreak community. It's a great spawning ground for new ideas that can be implemented.

6. kalex macrumors 65816

Cydia and pirating are not the same. Not everyone who jailbreaks pirates their apps. and don't you think that if apple really wanted pirating to stop they would have done it already?

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Cydia and Piracy go hand in hand. If you think that's not the case, whatever. :rolleyes:

People JB for either one of the following:

SIM UNLOCK
    iBlacklist (or similar)
    BiteSMS (or similar)
    Bootleg/pirated apps

Out of all the above, all of them take equal %. The only way is to have Cydia disallow piracy is by preventing adding the bootleg repo. But there's another way to install the require files anyway so in conclusion, Cydia and Piracy go hand in hand.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Besides the fact that you just made those numbers up out of your..., not everyone who jailbreaks and uses Cydia pirates apps. I've never pirated a single app, yet used to jailbreak and use Cydia a lot. I don't jailbreak anymore and I think Apple won the war on that one, but to think that the main purpose of Cydia is to pirate apps is ridiculous and frankly insulting.

As for the OP yes I feel as if Apple definitely looks on Cydia and gets ideas from there, they would be stupid to not at least see what is out there. There are many ideas which may have come from Cydia, but who knows.

9. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

I'm not here to offend you; but you gotta keep it real. Piracy is rampant on all devices - consoles, pcs, macs, iOS, android, everything.

The sole reason it exists is the same reason why there are criminals in this world. Except that with Cydia, it's like leaving your window open at night.

I'm sure Cydia wasn't meant for bootlegging, but you cannot deny JB opened a huge can of worms in terms of piracy. No one can stop piracy. Cydia makes it easier to bootleg. That's the truth!

10. kalex macrumors 65816

No it doesn't go hand in hand. When you jailbreak and install cydia there is nothing in there that lets u do install pirated apps. If you actually bother to check it warns you when you add certain repos and tells you that they contain pirated apps. What you do with it is not cydias problem

11. kalex macrumors 65816

you just contradicted yourself. First you say that you don't need cydia to install required repo then u flip and say that they go hand in hand.

make up your mind will u