Are Apple's OS releases ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majordude, Sep 10, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I switched to Mac earlier this year so I came in at a very mature time for 10.4... were the early days golden?

I'm asking because I am interested in Jaguar but don't know if it is safe (from experience) to jump on it on release day or wait until fix 1, 2 or 3 before climbing aboard the new cat.

What is your experience?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Jaguar wasn't too bad of a release.
    Leopard will be better.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

D'oh! I'm a dog lover.

Tabbies, Lynx, Persians, Jaguars are all Greek to me. :p

I still get Garfield, Heathcliff and Sylvester mixed up. :D

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No worries about any version of MacOS or MacOS X. I have upgraded ASAP to every new version of the MacOS since System 6.0.4. Well, I didn't get System 7 Pro, but you know what I mean. I will upgrade to MacOS X 10.5 as soon as it is available.

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I am leaning your way as well... but after so many botched attempts by Microsoft (MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Me, XP and Vista) plus IBM (OS2) plus Quarterdeck (Desqview) plus Digital Research (DR-DOS)...

...I'm a little gun shy.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Any release can be problematic, even a later revision like #.9

My advice is to wait a couple of days after a new OS update (or any piece of software's update) and monitor the forums to see if there are any bugs that might affect you. The vast majority of updates are totally safe, but if you care about not running into problems then the pragmatic approach is to let other people be the guinea pigs and listen to their reports for the first day or two.

Also be aware that even if an update is literally perfect, there WILL be a couple of people complaining that the update messed up their system. Some number of computer systems will encounter a problem on every day of the year, so if an unrelated problem cropped up at the same time a person installed the update then they will naturally blame the problem on the update.

Just let the early adopters check it out first and then listen to the general consensus a day or two later to see if most people's systems are fine or if any problems are common to all users.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Mac is not a whitebox PC---or a POS Dell, for that matter. After 18 years on the Mac, I have no fears of early adoption. The vast majority of complaints on sites like this one are caused by the users themselves doing things that are both stupid and unnecessary.