Are Applications shared amongst all users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

My wife and I share an iMac with 2 user accounts. If I install some programs while logged into my account, will she have access to them also?

I'd want her to have access to all programs and she is set up as a administrator on the iMac.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

/Applications is a system level folder that all users have access to.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

So if you want to have private applications, it should be enough to put them in a directory in your home folder, right?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It also might be the only way to install applications if you're not an administrator. :p

I carried around applications in my network mounting home directory in college.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

True, never used an account that's not an admin on os x :p You probably should though, but that's another discussion.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are some really fun things you can do when you have a roaming user account.

I knew the campus Mac administrator as well. Why are you going to make the masses admins? :eek:

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

No, I'm not administrating anything else then my own laptop (hopefully an 27" iMac in the not to distant future to)

8. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

The only thing is though if on some applications when another user starts it for the first time, it will ask you for the serial#. An example would be Microsoft Office.

Then after you install the application I would download Onyx. When you run your new application the dock icon will appear in the dock. I would click on it and click on keep in dock. When you have all your applications that you use everyday in your dock, run Onyx (its free) and you will see under dock preferences to lock the icons on the dock. That way nobody can move or remove icons from your dock. I have about 40 applications locked in my dock that I use every day.

Quite a few of my applications asked for the serial # after logging into another account. Every user can setup and remove stuff from the dock to there own liking. I like having my dock icons locked in place so incase somebody gets on my systems at home with my account they can't move or destroy anything.

This is just my personal opinion. But try Onyx anyways its free (google it).

--Eric Wilson