Are apps for the iPad 3 really that big?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott2345, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Scott2345 macrumors regular

I'm not a hardcore gamer at all I don't plan on playing infinity blade or real racing or FIFA. I do plan on loading my ipad 16GB with apps only no music or movies maybe about 100 photos. Will I be ok with a 16GB. I hear that the apps are huge for the Retina display does that count for all the apps?

2. ppark macrumors newbie

I'm in a very similar boat; about to get a 16gb this weekend. I've been assured by many of my Apple fan-boy friends and people who work at Apple that the 16 will be fine for me.

I plan on filling my iPad with apps; no movies, no photos, possibly 2 gb of music. The majority will be apps for work and productive couch-surfing.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

Yes most games are 1gb

Regular apps are smaller

4. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

Games like infinity blade & real racing are 1GB or over correct? I don't plan on playing those type of games.

5. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Just look up the sizes of the apps you intend to use on iTunes, and that'll give you an idea of how much space you need. I do have some non-gaming apps that are huge; for example, da vinci's anatomy is 2GB, word flex is nearly 1GB, our choice is 1.1GB (once you download all chapters), back in time and wonders of the universe are 500mb each etc.

Apple's first party apps have blown up in size after adding retina support also. I believe garage band is 1GB.

6. seajewel macrumors 6502

No music or movies and only 100 photos, you should be fine with 16GB. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and it only gets full because of very large games and music. You might have to be a little mindful but there's no reason, with your usage needs, that you'd need more than 16GB.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Magazines are a bish on 16gb if you get more than 2 or 3 subscriptions.

8. iMule macrumors 6502

They'll be the same size for non-retina iPads too. Non-retina devices use the same exact apps.

9. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

No magazines as well.

----------

Thanks!

10. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Having owned a 2G iPod Touch 32 GB, I can safely say that 32 GB is the safest, most ideal capacity.

I filled up to about 7 GB remaining on that little device.

11. Scott2345 thread starter macrumors regular

12. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I have a 16 gb iPad 3 with 48 apps and 1 gb of music on it. I have a total of 5.3 gb used, 8.1 available if that will help. I only have a few games but they are just casual type games. My tablet is mainly used for internet and reading books.

13. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

Yes, they are. I remember seeing an article saying the size of app has been increased by 14% or something like that.:eek: