are apps 'multi licence'?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jojoba, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

I currently only have one mac (besides my iPad), but I was wondering if I were to get another one in the future, will the apps I have installed on my MBA also apply on other machines (as in, I will not have to 're-purchase' them)? Or do different apps have different rules?

Thanks.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As long as you use the same Apple ID, you can redownload them on multiple Macs for free.

3. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

They certainly can. Not sure why the prior reply assumed that all your apps were from the Mac App Store.

5. MathRulz macrumors regular

As a poster above noted, it depends on the software. Devonthink and Scrivener , I think, allow multiple installations along the lines of the note below:

From the Devonthink forum:
    "It's possible to install the software on multiple computers as long as you're using it only on one at the same time."

I think Scrivener is similar, but their website is currently down, so I can't verify. Except that to use on both Mac and PC, you must have two licenses, one for Mac and one for Windows (which I do).

Wolfram's Mathematica is an example of software that is not allowed on multiple machines. Indeed they are paranoid in their licensing approach.

Microsoft is similar: Office for Mac: One Copy per Device. You may install one copy of the software on one device. That device is the “licensed
    device.”

6. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, I see now that I wasn't very clear in my OP. I actually meant the Mac App Store only.