Are automatic wireless backups possible on anything other than the Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bollweevil, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Time capsules are so expensive, and I don't need another wireless base station. But the prospect of wireless automated backups is really enticing to me. Is it possible to get the same functionality from anything else?

They make external hard discs that you plug into the ethernet. I haven't researched these in a long time, and my father says they used to be very slow. Would something like that work?

What if there were two Macs, and one of the Mac just sat in one place, always on, sharing one of its hard discs. Could that stationary Mac be set as the target for backups by the other Mac and used with all the convenience of a Time Capsule?

Now what if the stationary computer were a Linux box instead of a Mac. Could that setup be made to work? I plan to set up a stationary Linux box as a server, so I really hope the answer is yes, and I can use it for backups too.

2. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy an external hard disk, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yes, an Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n Base Station with an external drive connected via USB.

They are very slow. Time Capsule wireless backups are also extremely slow even via 802.11n. However, Time Machine will not backup to "network drives" (as they connect to Macs via SMB).

Yes, provided the shared disk is dedicated to Time Machine only.

No. Time Machine cannot backup to NTFS, EXT3 or FAT drives. Additionally, Time Machine cannot backup to Linux or Windows machines hosting HFS+ drives even via AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) emulation.

Next time search the forum, as these questions have been answered over and over again.

4. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much, you answered all of my questions. I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find those answers. I probably wasn't searching hard enough or well enough. There are other questions which I do answer for myself without asking, but I ask the left-overs.