Are bookmarks always in iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by stanw, Nov 21, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

are safari bookmarks in the cloud so i don't have to worry about backing them up before wiping a a mac?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are in iCloud, but if you have important passwords in there I would keep a copy of the keychain files just to be safe. This iCloud Keychain sync is pretty new, and I'm not sure I would trust it as my only source of passwords for a new install.

Just open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in the path below and return. Save the contents of that folder to a USB key or external drive.

Code:
    ~/Library/Keychains

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Weaselboy,

Thanks for your help.

I'm wondering though, when going to a folder in the OS, why do you sometimes need to type in the whole path like /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Wunderlist/

and other times just enter ~/Library/Keychains

I'm actually trying to find the backup file for my Wunderlist, and when I search for /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Wunderlist/

nothing displays...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That ~ is just a Unix shortcut for the logged in users home folder.

So the two paths below are exactly the same and can be used interchangeably.

/Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Wunderlist/
    ~/Library/Application Support/Wunderlist/

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using the Go To Folder option will not bring up the folder I am looking for, so instead I am now trying to navigate directly to the folder through my user folder. I go to myuserhome folder and am now looking for the Library folder
    so I can get to the Application Support folder and then Wunderlist, though there is not a visible Library folder in myuserhome folder? I'm on 10.7.3

Where is it?

Thanks!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The user Library folder in Lion is hidden by default. Just run the command below in Terminal and it will unhide it. Or you can just hold the option key when you click that Go menu and it will show it.

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/
    I think Apple hides it because they don't want you to go in there and hurt yourself. :D

7. malih macrumors member

malih

When clicking Go menu in Finder, hold down alt/option to show Library

8. Bear macrumors G3

No matter what you think is in the cloud, if you care about it, I'd back it up before wiping a computer.