iPhone XS Max Are both speakers the same?

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I'm really impressed with the stereo speakers on this phone - very immersive.
But I do want to know something - are both of these speakers the same ones and is one of them (the bottom one) a tad bit louder?

My OCD is telling me the one on the bottom is just slightly louder and when in landscape mode, I notice that, so I tilt my phone slightly to the right to get them right sounding but sometimes I don't notice this.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
I think they are not the same as the one has 4 „holes“ and the other one 7?
I believe they try to get them the same loudness by adjusting them by software.

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I think they are not the same as the one has 4 „holes“ and the other one 7?
I believe they try to get them the same loudness by adjusting them by software.
The bottom speaker is just the one on the right, the left holes are for aesthetic purposes and microphone.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
But I do want to know something - are both of these speakers the same ones and is one of them (the bottom one) a tad bit louder?

My OCD is telling me the one on the bottom is just slightly louder and when in landscape mode, I notice that, so I tilt my phone slightly to the right to get them right sounding but sometimes I don't notice this.
Yes I believe the speaker on the bottom is just a tad bit louder.

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
Haven’t checked lately, but when the 7 came out as the first phone to use the earpiece as a speaker the bottom was louder, I wouldn’t be surprised to find it’s still the same even after the volume improvements.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
From some rudimentary testing, it seems to me like the top speaker is louder for higher frequencies and that the bottom speaker is louder for lower frequencies, with the crossover being at about 1 kHz. They seem to be able to output the same volume overall, but not at the same frequencies. That’s the case with the Max at least, but I remember noticing a similar trend in my previous phones since the 7. Depending on the audio source, this would make one speaker louder than the other. If the two speakers really are acting more like a tweeter and a woofer than two stereo speakers like it seems, the lower speaker would usually be louder, since there are usually more lower frequencies than higher frequencies in most audio recordings

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

The bottom speaker is notably louder, By how many decimals, I actually don’t know. It also seems like it emanates more base on the bottom speaker as well. Set there certainly is a difference from the top speaker from the bottom speaker near the lightning port.