are BTO orders non-returnable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mobilebuddha, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

I am having second thoughts about the '12 MBA that I had ordered online and called the local apple store. They said that BTO orders are -not- returnable, even within the 14 day timeframe.

Is this true?

2. jgo78 macrumors 6502

not true

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they are returnable within the 14 days.

4. mobilebuddha thread starter macrumors regular

Just spoke to a mgr in an apple store. She mentioned that BTOs are not final sales/non returnable, even within the 14 days window. They said that these MBA BTOs do not even go to the refurb store, they are treated the same way as people who attempt to return engraved products. She wasn't mean to me or anything but was pretty firm about the return.

In any case.. after much pleading, she allowed me to return the laptop with a full refund. Just thought I'd share this experience with others.. The store that I went to was in Pasadena, CA.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

All you had to do was ask her to show you exactly where, in Apple's posted return policy, it said that. And then raise holy hell and threaten to escalate her deliberate attempt to lie about policies to the detriment of a customer.

6. Newtype macrumors member

I've returned CTO many times. You may have to call Apple and ship it back for refund. Not sure if you can return it to Apple Store.

7. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Returned my BTO macbook air 13 two weeks ago when I wanted the 11. Had a bit of an issue since it was education purchase with free giftcard, they had to refund the giftcard back as cash and the rest on my card (no big deal) but they had to jump through a few hoops to get it done.

They had no problems accepting the return though, BTOs can be returned to stores or shipping back to apple online.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

There are many BTO optioned macs in the refurb store. How did they get there?

9. mobilebuddha thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah.. After the return was completed, I asked the mgr if she could point out the specific clause where BTOs cannot be returned and she had trouble finding it. She mentioned something about the change in return policy would change fairly soon.

I was just curious because my SO may want to buy a mac in a couple of months and she'll most likely want a custom order one as well..

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

In fairness, she wasn't required to accept the return at the physical Apple Store. When you return a BTO you're supossed to do so online and then send it back to Apple in the shipping materials it originally arrived in (Apple pays the shipping). So from her perspective the manager was correct; she's probably never delt with BTO returns before.

Kinda common sense there, OP. Order online, return online. :p

13. GGJstudios, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The manager was completely wrong. I'd report them to Apple. You can return them, just perhaps not in an Apple Store.

Returns & Refunds - Apple Store (U.S.)

14. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

She's full of it, but the confusion was probably in the (formal) inability to return BTO products to Apple stores. The general practice is that you notify Apple within the 14 day window that you wish to return your product, they send you a pre-paid courier voucher, and then you have another 14 days to organise for the courier to pick whatever you're returning up from your place/office (TNT here, maybe Fedex in the US?). Which makes sense, since you need to order BTO stuff online, rather than in-store.

----------

Ah yes I didn't see this when I posted my response, NMF is where it's at

15. trueenough macrumors newbie

Actually, the way I read it, BTO computers are eligible for RETURN in Apple Stores, just not for EXCHANGE. That makes sense, as the stores may not have a product to exchange it for. If it's a straight return/refund, then the policy does not have an exception for BTO products.