Are Carphone telling the truth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UKLawTalkingGuy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. UKLawTalkingGuy macrumors newbie

I am o2 with Carphone Warehouse and last upgraded in March 2007. As I last upgraded prior to 18th Sept 07, I was hoping to get my authorisation code from CPW and leave.

I purchased an iphone from the Apple store this morning and rang CPW to get my authorisation code.

3 different departments tell me that I can only have an authorisation code if I purchase the phone from CPW - anyone else have this problem? Bear in mind I am still in contract but am relying on the following from both the o2 and CPW websites:

If you became an O2 customer or upgraded on or before 18th September 2007
    You can switch to an O2 tariff for iPhone without paying any remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'd be very sceptical about what they are telling you although I have to confess that I am not at all sure about how the CPW/O2 partnership/association works. I would ring them again and ask them to indicate the relevant section in their written terms and conditions which they suggest supports what they are saying, and ask for a copy.

If they are unable to justify what they have been telling you, I would then threaten to report them to the Office of Fair Trading, Offcom, and any other organisation that is vaguely relevant.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

3. merlinmagician macrumors member

Getting the code from CPW is the only way that you can get the phone activated.

As far as I know it doesn't matter where you purchased it from.

I didn't have any problems with mine on the day after iDay. But then I also had purchased my iPhone from CPW - no Apple store near where I was.

Post how you get on.

4. jontucker macrumors 6502

5. sneeks macrumors 6502a

You can buy from any of the companies selling the iPhone.

6. UKLawTalkingGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Since posting below, I rang the mobile number port team at CPW who got the me the transfer code with no fuss whatsoever. If at first you don't suceed, put the phone down and try, try again!

I simply don't believe them.

I spoke to the loyalty team (who clearly have a vested interest), the disconnections team, who at first said I could have the code if I paid up the remainder of my contract, then changed their mind and then finally, customer care.

They kept banging on about how the code is generated in store. When I asked who generates the code itself, I was told 'the system'. When I asked why 'the system' can't generate a code for me, I was told 'they can only generate it in store'. AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH! How circular!

I worked for CPW from 1997-2003, part-time whilst I was at University and Law School and so have a fair idea as to how their systems work.

Everyone I have spoken to at CPW tells me that 'its all on our website' - when asked to point our where, the response is 'its on there'.

I am now determined not to buy it from CPW!

7. sneeks macrumors 6502a

They are talking rubbish. Their own website even informs you that you are able to buy the handset from O2 or Apple. It also states:

'If you are an O2 customer who is billed by The Carphone Warehouse, then you will need to contact us on 0870 111 7200 to obtain a PAC code to transfer your number.'

Have you phoned this department?

8. UKLawTalkingGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

0870 111 7200 is CPW o2 customer service, that's where the lies started!

All resolved now (see above)

9. sneeks macrumors 6502a

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Carphone Warehouse are like the PCWorld of mobile phone stores. Avoid 'em big time!

11. skeen macrumors 6502

CPW are a bunch of liars. I bought my iPhone from them a few days ago, and they tried to sell me super-expensive insurance - £45 per quarter! I would have practically bought 2 iPhones in a year and a half!

When we told them we'd just go with O2 (£7.50 per month) they prodded us about what exactly O2 covered (as if we knew the specifics there and then), and made it clear numerous times we could only purchase CPW insurance at POS (which is a ridiculous policy, O2 requires it within 28 days of activation!).

FYI: the O2 insurance covers everything. www.o2.co.uk/iphone/insurance

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Glad to hear that persistence won through. It often does. :)