Are Chargers Suppose to Light Things on Fire?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bbbensen, May 19, 2008.

1. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I was laying with my iBook 1.42 GHz, 14", watching YouTube and talking on iChat. While doing this, my computer shut off. This was happening every so often, and every time it did, I had to hold the power button for a few seconds, then turn it off.

After it started to boot, I wanted to get a snack. I put the laptop on the bed (it was on my lap), and started to get up. To my surprise, my charger sparked and smoke came out. I went and unplugged it.

This charger isnt that old, about 2 months.

Would Apple replace it for free? Any other comments?

Here are some pics of the damage. The black part is burned.
    Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Yes they should replace it for free with no questions asked as this is clearly a defect charger. This also appears to be a widespread problem as well I know a few people who have expeireced this as well I think there are a few youtube videos as well.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Seems perfectly normal, I wouldn't be worried.

In opposite land....

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

1: Take pictures of both sides of what it was plugged into, the computer and the power socket or surge protector.

2: Have that receipt ready.

3: If there was *any* damage to *anything* else, even a little tiny black mark left on a piece of cloth, get pictures.

4: This is more for the real Mac heads, save any logfiles you might have, as they could possibly have logged an event that might lead them to know what happened, and prove your story further.