Are CRTs worth bothering with?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Jul 5, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Probably in the next week or so, I'm going to be picking up a couple more freebies for my small but growing collection.

Specifically, I'm going to be getting a 7100/66, a beige G3 desktop, and a Blue and White G3 tower.

I also have the opportunity to pick up a handful of CRT monitors-a couple of smallish(I think a 12" and 15") color display, a 20 monochrome "2 page" display, and the original 17" "blueberry" CRT with the Blue and White.

In the recent past, I've avoided CRTs as they are big, heavy, and I lack a lot of room to store them.

As far as I know, at least for the 7100 and beige G3, I'm going to need some sort of monitor with a DA-15 connector, which seems to tie me into using an Apple display. I'm inclined to pick up the two small color displays for use with these.

As far as I know, I can use any VGA monitor with the Blue and White, but I'm also tempted to grab the original display to go with it.

That leaves the big monochrome display, which I'm inclined to leave as it's 60 lbs or so and quite large.

Can anyone think of a compelling reason why I should go ahead monochrome display also?

While we're at it, is there a work-around that would allow me to connect a standard VGA display to a DA-15 monitor port? If there is one, I'll probably also pass on the two small displays as 15 and 17" LCDs are practically free now.

I should also mention that all of this stuff is destined for the dumpster if I don't take it.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Leave the smaller displays, only take the blue and white one if you want it. Apple DB-15 and VGA are signal compatible, app you need is a very inexpensive adapter and it'll work without a problem.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is worth it for all of them. Going original for the early PowerMacs with the small color displays is great, and the two page is a great addition to the collection. I always liked the look of the B&W CRT, and it is a great monitor!

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Keep the collection complete, take the CRTs, esp. the B&W one.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks...taking the B&W to go with the B&W G3 was pretty much a given.

I have a lot of memories of doing the school newspaper layout in Quark Xpress on pretty much an identical combination, so if nothing else it's sort of sentimental to me.

It's good to know that DB-15 and VGA are at least signal compatible, so that solves some of the problem if I don't take any of the others. I'm leaning toward grabbing the small ones still, though, as they don't take up much space "look" right with a mid to late 90s Mac. Plus, they remind me a lot of the monitors I remember the Apple IIcs and IIgs having when I used them back in elementary school.

That just leaves the 2-page beast...