Are current MBPs affected by the Intel CPU flaw?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Feb 6, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I saw an article saying "systems with second-generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad-core microprocessors could be affected by the chipset issue". Does that mean current MBPs could have the Intel CPU problem announced last week, or does it not affect them?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

IIRC that is only the sandy bridge cpu chipsets with an issue. The I cores apple is currently using are nehalem based and are considered first gen. Anyone is free to correct me but there is nothing wrong with the chipsets on any current apple product. ( excepting of course issues from nvidia graphics on some older models)

4. Tikkabhuna macrumors newbie

This is correct.

There isn't a problem with any of the CPUs, just the chipsets on the motherboards (logicboards). Its not even an immediate issue.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is NOT a CPU problem. Only a chipset problem and a pretty minor one too.

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Indeed.

Personally, I think it's quite amusing that they fail because of a single transistor (or maybe one for each SATA 2 slot) that really doesn't need to be there anyway.

After reading those articles that were posted on the day, I'm wondering if Intel, or other companies, will simply blast these transistors with an X-ray laser and re-sell them cheap. It's my understanding from the articles that if they did this, the SATA 2 connections would still work fine.