Are Dads difficult to buy Xmas presents for?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My Dad used to be hopeless... I could never think of what to get him come Xmas or his birthday. Is that just me or is your Dad impossible to buy gifts for? Discuss. :D

Oh, and gift suggestions for Dads are also fair game for comment... :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, impossible. Mums are easy (steady now). If you can't think of anything some nice jewellery will normally work. My Dad normally gets CDs, books etc unless I have some inspiration.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My dad was easy to shop for. He was a big kid and was happy with a rare import LP (we were both classic rock fans) or things that I liked myself. It was like shopping for myself. :D

My step father is also easy. He likes gadgets. It's like shopping for myself. :D

This year he's getting one of these. I spied him checking them out on Amazon.

[​IMG]

No way. Shopping for my mom is a nightmare.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say my Dad was slightly harder to buy presents for than my Mum.

5. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Oooh so difficult! Yeah music, books (although he's dyslexic so he doesn't read to much), chocolate, wine, anything Beatles related for my dad... but he's kinda got it all. I bought him a DVD of a musical tribute to George Harrison at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago, he loved that. He watched it at least three times over Christmas and made everybody else watch it too!!! Best present ever. :D

6. bartelby macrumors Core

My dad is so easy to buy for.
    He loves vouchers for cds, he loves spending 1-2 hours in record shops looking for new music.

Alternatively reference books on electronics...

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My dad tends to be a bit tricky to buy for, and generally I need to have a bit of a think and a scout around to find something suitable. Luckily, Miss Jaffa Cake took charge this year and came up with a nice idea we're sure he'll like...

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

my sister and i found presents for my father always easier than looking for presents for my mother (this year we are going the easy route with perfume ;) )

really hard are grandparents or uncles

9. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

My dad's easy to buy for.

I always get him some decent wine - stuff that they would never buy themselves, like a Puligny-Montrachet or a Corton.

And then I add on a few small things like books. We tend to make a bee-line for the same non-fiction stuff so I usually get something that I would like, knowing that he will too :D

My mum finds it impossible to buy for him though.

10. 119576 Guest

My Dad likes whiskey...

It's a no-brainer come Christmas time.

11. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

We bought my dad a few seasons of Seinfeld on DVD - he loved those!

My mom is so easy to shop for, but since I'm her only daughter, I guess I can figure her out easier. My dad has basically everything though. I bought him a new case for his ipod - a leather one.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think I'm pretty easy to shop for, but the wife would heartily disagree.

I think if there is something specific that I'm pining for, it's easy enough. If there isn't, then yeah, I'm pretty tough. The problem isn't the shopping though. It's the receiving. I just don't really care about getting gifts. Maybe it's that from non-family, I feel like I'm obliged to get them something. Maybe is that from family, I know that the money can always be better spent on more important things and I'm doing well enough.

I don't know.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well, funnily enough, I live my life how I please and not doing as father wishes equaled a mutual cross-off the christmas list. Sorted.

As a general statement though I think mothers are more difficult to buy for. I can never think of what to get my mom. The dumb thing is, she's easy to please, I just want to do better than that and often can't think anything up.

14. 119576 Guest

My Mum is really easy to buy for. She loves books, and there are a huge amount of books out there.

Dad doesn't like much though.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Whiskey or Whisky?

16. 119576 Guest

Well, both. Actually probably Whisky more.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm a big fan of Single Malt Whisky. I've yet to find a good whiskey...

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I bought my stepfather the "Planet Earth + The Blue Planet: Seas of Life" DVD box set. Easy.

My mum wants the same thing for her birthday and Xmas every year......an iPhoto PhotoBook filled with photos of me and my friends. ;)

19. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

My Dad died two years ago, so have to say, pretty easy to buy for (sick I know).

When he was alive, always easy to buy for, any book on politics did the trick

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My pops is in love with tools and boats so anything in that category he's lovely about

Quite easy for me.

Bless

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Generally speaking Dads get the shaft in terms of gifts. Whatever moron thought the whole Tie on Father's day was a good idea should be hung with said tie. ;) That said, my dad is indeed difficult or he was growing up. As I matured my understanding of his tastes matured.

We don't buy him tools because he doesn't work with his hands really. They have a groundskeeper who takes care of things. He plants the occasional garden but not enough to warrant anything specific and when he does, he uses the groundskeeper's tools.

We don't buy him clothes because he shops often and still has things with tags on.

We don't buy him cologne because just like above, he takes care it himself.

That leaves things that he is very interested in. As a highly educated introvert he enjoys travel, books, and music. For the first time I nailed it last year. Tired of buying impersonal gift-cards I took about 3 dozen of my photos from my trip to England and made him a book through iPhoto. I wrote a small introduction about what I thought of him and how he inspired me and then throughout I wrote something about each photo such as where/what it was. The fact is I take a fair amount of photos when I do get to travel but never get take the time to do anything with them. He bothered me for years. The book actually brought tears to his eyes and the hundreds of dollars spent on the rest of my family soon was overshadowed when the book was given. In other words, little did I know but the $60 book trumped everything. It will undoubtedly be hard to top that one but I think I may come close.

This year he wants all of his LPs on the computer to put onto CD. Last year he got the turntable and no one showed him how to use it. This year I'm going to spend time doing that with him. As he tells me about it his face lights up and I can see this is important to him. I'd rather spend cash on him, but alas he doesn't want it. In turn he'll get a fat bookstore gift-card which makes him very happy nonetheless and my time, which he knows is quite precious these days.

Think about what your Dad does, what he has the most interest in and go from there.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For my dad it is easy. My mom on the other had is a bit harder. My Father, brother and I all go to my sister to figure out what to get her.

For my dad a safe default is golf stuff always golf stuff. Rightnow I have my dad's gift sitting on my bookshelf.

23. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

A giftcard to Sears or Lowes/Home depot is perfect for my dad.. Can't go wrong with tools or some free cash to get chores mom is badgering him about done.

My mom is also easy to buy for..she loves books (King, Koons, Sparks) as well and recently got into wine.. Also she has one of those pandora charm braclets, which she keeps asking for charms idk..

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

nope.. not at all.

I got my dad a 2007 Red Sox WS Championship Hat. :D

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I have the luxery of being able to buy everyones xmas presents in january (money woes have put it off) still, no idea what to buy for my dad, i would buy him a stargate dvd, but he downloads them all, so why bother...