are data plans required when purchasing the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juohmaru, Jun 18, 2007.

1. juohmaru macrumors newbie

other than the 2yr contract, are the data plans REQUIRED when purchasing the iphone? if so, are there any penalties if i were to cancel the data plan couple months down the road? thanks.

2. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

nobody knows. wait and see. its all speculation right now.

3. Stadsport macrumors regular

It'll probably be recommended since the phone is pretty gimped without it, but I don't think it'll be required.

If ATT is anything like Verizon, you'll be able to add/remove data and such without any penalty.

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I think you need one to really take advantage of all the phone can do- but we'll find out soon enogh if they're required I guess..

Will .mac mail be push on the iPhone? It would have to be right? Only makes sense.. I hope it is, that could be a deal breaker for me as I've gotten used to it with the BlackBerry and it really helps me out a lot at work..

5. applehero macrumors 6502

.Mac will be push as it is IMAP.

I subscribe to the theory that the iPhone plans will be bundled plan specific to iPhone, similar to that of BB data plans, but include voice minute options as well. There may be different tiers of data options and definitely voice options, but I believe they will have iPhone specific bundled plans.

We'll all find out soon enough.

6. TenaciousPZ macrumors regular

Why is all hell would you spend 600 dollars on this thing without a data plan? It is just barely worth it with a data plan. Barely, but still worth it :D

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Plus you know Apple they will want to get some more $$$ out you somehow. a plan, extra device, or something ,maybe a big screen that iphone docks into........ something like that.:apple:

8. juohmaru thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, the reason why i asked the question is that i am planning to get 2 iphones, one for myself and on for my wife. i'm gonna need the data plan for my work but not sure about my wife since she has wifi at her building...so she doesn't think both of us should cough up $40+ per month for the data plans...

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

according to another rumor the phone actually requires a data plan for most features like visual voicemail. but they will prob release a iphone plan that bundles all u need for the phone

10. iPhonePlaya macrumors regular

i just wish they would release the plan information its killing me

i need to know now lol
    im really hoping for a bundle so i dont have to deal with all the different plans and packs
    bundle=simplicity