Are Digital Paintings Really Art?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by AppleRocks2011, May 10, 2011.

1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

I just bought Adobe Easel, which allows users to paint on the iPad. To be honest, I absolutely love the app. It's so fluid in how simple it is to use, and it accurately portrays the image in my mind.

However, there is nothing like having a paintbrush in your and and then stroking the canvas.

The question is "Are digital paintings really art?". Or, is that digital artwork is a different type of art? I just wanted to see what people would say/think about this subject, so make sure to express your point of view.

2. caubeck macrumors 6502

My mother uses a pencil to make a shopping list, I use it to sketch. I use a computer to compose texts, others use one to create movies. Nokia uses electronic beeps to indicate battery loss, others turn beeps into pop music.

One guy paints his house white, the next paints a white house in the middle of a green landscape.

The police take mugshots. Some play around with filters and exposure to illustrate magazine articles.

The answer isn't in the medium but in the question "What can you do with it?"

3. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

"Art" is in the act of creation, not in the tool used for the creation.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

So this sentence is Art? As I have just created a sentence.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's quite beautiful and I could enjoy rereading it for hours.:D

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Actually it's more artistic than those stupid "abstract paintings" that have nothing but paint splashed all over them.

"Yeah I can really feel your emotion in this piece, I'll take it for $1200"

But yes digital painting is art as much as taking PHOTOGRAPHS (not pictures) with a digital SLR is photography.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Sure. I'd say that you could consider a well-crafted sentence art.