Are eBay iWork sellers legitimate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigwig, Jul 4, 2010.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

I see a bunch of eBay sellers claiming to have sealed retail iWork 09 single-user packs for ~$35. Is this for real?

2. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

i assume they are. considering amazon sellers (that are verified by amazon) have them for $35 with free shipping. i think it'd be safer ordering off amazon though.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, you can never be 100% certain, especially with eBay.

4. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot about Amazon. You're probably right about them. When I saw Apple products selling for less than half retail price it made me wonder whether they were stolen or bootlegged.

5. blunderboy macrumors 6502

I highly doubt any legitimate seller would offer newer Apple software for such low prices unless you had already arranged to lower the price with them, and if the discs had already been used. I would use Amazon if you really want to be more sure. If you *do* order from eBay, I would order from a seller who is known to sell legitimate Apple products.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Most of them are, HOWEVER, (and this is a big however)...

Some of them are selling a tip of how to unlock trial iWork without paying. This is naturally wrong even though Apple has made it very easy. If the seller is selling you a serial number which activates the trial, then I guess it should be okay. Even though US customers get free shipping from Amazon and such, the eBay sellers are targeting non-US customers which this way avoid paying for shipping and taxes.

Most of them are good but beware.

8. superflush macrumors 6502a

If you buy iWork from Amazon for $37.49, you'll get free shipping and you won't pay tax (unless you live in New York).

9. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up getting iWork from Amazon for $34.99 including shipping. That's a steal, I'm amazed Apple lets its resellers undercut it like that. They keep a much tighter lid on hardware resellers, who give $5 discounts and expect you to love them for it.

10. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

amazon always has everything for cheaper. even macs you can save sometimes up to $100. than factor in tax and you are saving even more! i order all my electronics, movies, cd's, games, etc from amazon.:D

11. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Or Washington (headquarters are here) or anywhere Amazon has a physical presence.

EDIT: If you buy directly from Amazon (sold by Amazon), you will pay sales tax as above. If you buy from a Marketplace seller, it will all depend on where the seller is located.

12. Glumpfner macrumors regular

eBay is not that bad. I have my own little business as a drop shipper and made some friends with other sellers.

Just look at their feedback and if they have sold some copies already.

Sellers are off a lot worse than buyers.

Buyers have ebay/paypal protection, where Sellers have nothing. And if there is a charge back or a stolen paypal account was used, my item that I sold is gone and eBay has taken the money back! Plus we sellers have to pay an enormous fee of up to 15% of the selling value of the item.

13. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I found this on fatwallet, not sure of this site(though the deals from these sites posted quite often in those forums.)

http://www.1saleaday.com/ - is selling iWork for $25 for next 20 hours or so.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

1saleaday is legitimate

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Do your best to avoid ebay, Amazon gets my vote.

16. Ryanm93 macrumors member

Yes Amazon would be the safer option but eBay can usualy sort out most issues f a sale goes wrong. Also check if the seller accepts returns (this is now required to be stated in the eBay ad. :)